Old forks vs new wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might seem like a stupidbut,,, I have a 1936 Schwinn and I want to use the original forks. However I want to use new style rims. The fork is aa little narrower than the new axles. Is there a way to change out the axles. Stuck in a rut here and need some advice.

All you have to do is grind slots on either side of the axle to accomodate the fork. The axle nuts will still tighten just fine. If you have an original fork, don't be tempted widen the axle slots on it.
I used a Dremel with aluminum oxide grinding wheels to do mine. Not too difficult. Gary

I've put wider axles on older forks, the fork blades will flex enough for the axle. But a 1936 fork, I might find a different rim that is narrower. Usually the axle can't be made narrower, the spokes would contact the forks, the hub needs to be narrower.

u can grind the axle flat on two sides and make it fit nut will still thread on and tighten , if necessary run tap back over it .

Wildcat said:
I've put wider axles on older forks, the fork blades will flex enough for the axle. But a 1936 fork, I might find a different rim that is narrower. Usually the axle can't be made narrower, the spokes would contact the forks, the hub needs to be narrower.
Heh, I guess I'm not the only who posts while sleeping. :lol: :wink:

Thaks for the info everyone. I tried what you guys mentioned and it worked, Thanks again

Latest posts

Back