old saddles vs. new

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have seen a few postings about the higher quality on some of the older brooks and wrights saddles, but prices seem to only be going up. Lately there have been some very nice saddles on ebay. I'm building a daily rider prewar lightweight. Obviously, I'd like to keep it interesting, so does $80 spent on a worn Brooks or similar pay for itself compared to a cheaper leather saddle? Will the leather last long without treatments? Basically will I get $80 in mileage out of a seat that's already seen its best days?

My $0.02: Brooks makes saddles with the same design, construction, and attention to detail as they did WBITD. They truly do still make'm like they used to. Unfortunately, modern farming techniques don't make cows the way they used to. In all seriousness, these days, they're maximizing meat production, so cattle achieve full size without their hides maturing and thickening properly. This hasn't effected the fashion industry much, as the softer/thinner leather is easier to work with and durability isn't a key factor. However, things like saddles and work boots have suffered as a result.

Brooks makes a "Select" series of saddles, from the hides of grass-fed, organic, Scandinavian cattle. They make a Select version of several of their popular models, and so far they've all been in a natural light tan color. B/c these cattle are raised old school, the leather is thicker and the experience and longevity is more akin to the old-school saddles. These saddles come at a premium price. More budget-conscious riders should check out the Team Pro model, which was always cut from the thickest section of the hide, but comes in a skinnier profile only. The Team Pros of today can't match the durability of the old Team Pros, but it's still the thickest-hided model of standard Brooks.

If you'e going for a vintage look, you can't beat a vintage saddle, and i'd say go for something old. But, if you're looking for the max mileage, comfort, and durability for a rider, i'd avoid the older saddles, as they're likely to be cracked, worn, and/or neglected, plus they've been "broken in" by someone else's butt, so comfort won't be maxed out. The best part about riding a suspended leather saddle is that it will break-in, and in so doing, it will conform to the rider and offer a truly excellent ride. I've been riding late-model standard Brooks saddles, and i've been getting years of service out of them, although i do find that the newer ones twist and flare more than the old ones did....

I just bought one of RRB member ifitsfreeitsforme's leather saddles; it hasn't arrived yet, but i'll do up a full review once I get it and start riding it. Should be fun....

I've got a Brooks leather saddle, a Brooks Cambium and two Gyes saddles. One thing that stands out about the Gyes saddles is that the leather is MUCH thicker than on the Brooks. At least 1.5 times as thick. Unfortunately, the battery on my calipers is dead so I can't give you an exact measurement, but just swagging it, I'd say that the leather itself is about 60% thicker and if you include the waterproof membrane on the bottom of the saddle, they are close to twice as thick.

This does result in a much harder saddle. My Brooks 135 was comfortable right out of the bag, within 300 miles it was worn in and after 1000 miles you could see how the leather had been stretched to match the shape of my butt. The Brooks saddles also have a pronounced hammock action. When you push on them the leather noticeably flexes.

The Gyes, (CL10), on the other hand was hard as a rock out of the bag, (both saddles come in cloth bags). Within 300 miles I was telling myself, "I'm going to give this saddle a chance and keep riding it." It was still hard and less than comfortable at that point. I've now probably got a little over 1000 miles on it though and it's just starting to get broken in and I like it...a lot. At this point it is my favorite saddle. The Brooks is nice for upright riding, but when I hunch down over the bars it tends to goose me. The Gyes is considerably wider in the nose and I find it more comfortable in a variety of positions. I can ride upright like Mary Poppins in the park or settle down into the aerobars like a triathlete and my crotch feels fine in either position.

I do think Brooks does a slightly better job on the frame of the saddles though. They're both high quality products, but the Brooks just seems a little better finished and more polished.

At this point, I intend on buying more Gyes saddles rather than Brooks, but I ride daily and in the summer sometimes was riding 150 miles or more a week. If I were buying a saddle for a cruiser/ratrod type bike that might only get ridden a couple hundred miles a year I'd favor a Brooks. The Brooks is comfortable right from the start, while the Gyes needs to be broken in and more importantly seems to take a long time to break in. After 1000+ miles I'd say that mine is just starting to break in.

Back