Old speedo, need advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got a schwinn approved (made in France) speedo from the co-op today. I have no idea how to install it or how to reset the odometer. Any google search leads me to bike computers not these old spedometers. I'll post a picture in a bit.
Thanks

I hooked up a bike speedo to an electric drill with the direction reversed and backed up the odometer to 0. It only had 60 some miles on it so it didn't take long and didn't hurt the needle. Easy to install the cable. Goes between fork and hub. A little bent tab goes into the spokes to turn the gears. Gary

You'll need to be sure the cable and mechanism is lubed so it won't put too much drag on the wheel.
I'd like to see the old style speedo with an electronic sensor instead of the mechanism.

Thanks for the help. I tested it and it works. I rolled the odometer back to 300.00 I can take it from there with minimum math

They're not too complicated to take apart if you're careful. I know I've had one a part so far I could set the numbers wherever I wanted them to be without having to roll them back 1 number at a time, but it's been too long to describe it from memory lol

Latest posts

Back