Old spoke question...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In the process of building the wheels for the G519 clone, Now there does not appear to be an affordable source for the brass 3/4" nipples (14 gauge) or affordable double butted spoke in 10 5/8" (14 gauge as well)... So, I've been trying to recycle the old spokes and nipples from the various "wheels for parts" donors I have on hand. Now as is expected many were scrap right off the back, snapping while attempting to remove them from their previous home, some come off nicely, and some... well let's just say are about as crooked as a politician.

My question is beyond the spokes that are straight within reason, how much of an off straight spoke is acceptable for re use? None of the ones I'd be speaking of have any hard angle bends, just kind'a like curved...

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Also if anyone knows of a source for this older style spoke and nipple, (Mem Ln Classics doesn't have the older brass nipples), please by all means pass it on...

Last edited:
I have used bent spokes heaps of times,I hold one end in one hand and with my other hand my fingers on the top and my thumb underneath pressing against the spoke applying pressure/force as I move along the spoke,if there are any cracks or fractures the spoke will bend very easily as soon as your thumb hits the weak spot,stainless spokes will practically snap in half if there are fractures when doing the thumb/finger test

"Cman", I've ordered spokes from them before14g 270mm, they don't carry the longer pre 50's nipples. What I'm looking for are 3/4" brass nipples, thus the longer threaded portion on he spokes... cost effectively!

"Endlesschain", Yea the spokes I'm using are free of cracks or fractures. I was just sort of curious if being bowed (not so much bent) was any sort of indicator as to being an eliminating factor as far as safely re using them.

Thanks...

"Endlesschain", Yea the spokes I'm using are free of cracks or fractures. I was just sort of curious if being bowed (not so much bent) was any sort of indicator as to being an eliminating factor as far as safely re using them.

Thanks...
shouldn't be an issue,I have never actually bought any spokes ever,I have always reused bent/used spokes

I don't think bending them is a big deal. I always bend them when I'm lacing so I don't scratch up the rim.

spokes3_zps5b9e990c.jpg~original

I'd be more concerned about stretching them again? Spokes do ad up cost-wise.

The stretching of the spokes is kind'a to the root of my original question. I mean I realize not building a wheel that's gonna end up doing a TT, or run at any pro level event, but I was still concerned from a safety perspective... last thing I wanna do is ride over a 6" curb and have the whole front wheel fold up like an inner tube!o_O:crazy:

Ppl reuse spokes all the time, usually without problems. And, it sounds like you've already started culling the crap ones. The thing is, if any of the spokes fail, you'll likely know why.... and, in my experience, one busted spoke won't fold the entire wheel... you'll have some time to address problems as they arrive....

That being said, Sapim spokes are good-quality and pretty cheap, so I'll probably continue to use new ones...

PS- i understand your reasons for reusing, due to the longer nerps....

Back