Old timer - First timer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've been lurking on this forum for about a month now and am totally amazed at the variety and quality of the bikes being built. Outstanding. Oh yeah - the Rat Rod bug has bit me hard :D

I live on beautiful Vancouver Island in BC, Canada. I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50 - and have always loved to tinker around with anything mechanical. My first "real" bicycle had a SA 3 speed on it - which I promptly tore down completely to see how it worked. Amazingly - it all went back together and worked - with no parts left over!!

I figure I've just got to jump in and build a rat rod to start out. I've picked up a used mountain bike with front suspension. It has a sloping top tube as well as a nice fat front down tube. It has 3x7 gearing on it and v-brakes.

Right now, I'm just stripping it down and cleaning everything up and replacing/repacking baerings as required. My plan is:
Replace the rotten MB tires with some nice fat street tires.
Replace the front suspension fork with a solid fork that has nice, fat legs to it.
Install a set of ape hanger bars.
Build a rear set seatpost for that "laid back" look (or possible install a banana seat with sissy bar - haven't decided yet)
Keep the 7 speed cassette on the back wheel but lose the high and low sprokets on the front. Then scrap the front derailer for a cleaner look (too many hills where I live to live with just a single speed).
Possibly scrap the fron brakes as well for a cleaner look. Depends on how strong the rear brake is on its own. I figure that's no different than a single speed bike with just a coaster brake.
Remove ALL the ugly decals from the frame and forks (heat gun, Goo Gone and WD-40)
Install a bobbed rear fender - none on the front.
Buff out the paint and see what it looks like. If ok, leave as is. If not, spray paint flat black, grey or red.

Basically - I'm looking for that old school, bobber motorcycle look. Eventually, I'd like to try a springer fork on the front, But for now, I'm trying to stick to that basic rat rod philosophy - build it cheap, reuse as much as you can, scrounge the rest and only purchase what's not avaialble other wise. Fortunately, there's a used bicycle shop down the street that will let you browse thru the boxes and boxes of used parts they have and buy what you want for very little $$.

I'll post some photos as I get into this project. In the meantime, keep up the great work. I check the forums every day for ideas and inspiration.

steamcat

Welcome from England, your ideas for your cycle sound really great! look forward to pics on her progress, hope alls well at the Colonies :wink:

Back