older SA 3 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
whats the deal with these hubs, are they any good? how do they compare to something like a nexus?

If you're talking about an AW or AWC, they're awesome, and the older, the better. (They will have a date code on the hubshell.) One of the most commonly found hubs on planet earth, too.

If you're talkin about the TCW or S3C, those were kind of unreliable as far as braking goes. Most other SA 3 speeds were pretty awesome, but the AW is the IGH version of the Ford 300cid six. Reliable, runs forever, but no glamor points at all.

Hit up sheldonbrown.com and search for sturmey archer. Tons of info there. Your model ID is on the shell, by the date

Everyone should rebuild one at least once. You'll never look at one the same way again. An amazing little piece of engineering.

I use Sturmey 3-coasters quite a lot, and if adjusted properly, are very reliable.
They are quite cool planetary-gear driven tranny/brake combination hubs. TCW's get bad press, but I have had no problems with them or the S3C's unless they were poorly maintained or adjusted. Once you go over the bars once (not adjusted or with broken pieces inside)people will unfairly abandon them very quickly. Not really for the faint-of-heart bike mechanic. I really do Love the older Sturmey hubs, and I put alot of miles on them year after year because of their bomber nature in both the 28hole and 36 hole versions.
IMG_3799_zpsh9ufdqod.jpg

I must say though, that the Sachs 515 & older 3111 3spd-coasters seem tougher than the old sturmeys, and garner just as much and even more respect from me as the miles go by.
IMG_2681_zpsef18e08e.jpg

These planetary-gear hubs are, IMO, far more advanced and durable than even the new modern ratcheting hubs. The new sturmey options may also be worth looking into, though I have yet to do so...skpc :thumbsup:

Last edited:
So , which coaster hub would be the most rock solid reliable, in your opinion? 36 hole for use on a cruiser framed bike... and are the spoke holes large enough for a 12 or 14 GA spoke set on them?

I've got a couple of 3 speed no brake hubs right now...and having ridden them in the 60's as a kid I would definitely use one if I can't find one with a brake. They were rock solid reliable once you figured out how to adjust the shifters..and we never even lubricated them... Back then I rode everywhere on a bike, so it wasn't like they were garage queens either.

I remember rebuilding one several times back when I was in Jr high , and not being able to get it to function correctly. I finally brought it to a pro, and she took several tries to find out that the axle was bent just enough to keep it from operating properly..I was doing everything right..(I didn't have the right tire mounted on it, and it blew right off the rim in the bike shop...)

Fichtel & Sachs hubs are awesome, and every bit as good as the best of the Sturmey-Archer hubs. The advantage, in my view, of the AW/AWC over the F&S 3 speeds is that you can easily source excellent used, NOW, or new-production parts for the AW, but you cannot get the old F&S parts nearly as easily. You can find old parts if you try hard, and if the hub was complete when you found it & you treat it right, you'll likely never need parts.

Which reminds me: i'm still trying to find a nice axle nut for my Torpedo Duomatic; it's 10.5x26tpi, and a real pan to find nice ones...

Acorn style axle nut? Or just a regular one? I have a few 515's around and some w/axle nuts. I would guess the same pitch? Let me know if so.
In terms of the which hub is better question. Sturmey Archer I think for you DJB. They don't take big gauge spokes, which are overkill, but can't really go wrong with sturmeyarcher..

Latest posts

Back