One Fine Day in New London Ct.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a picture perfect day on Sun at the 20" bike gatherthing in New London.Good people,bikes and a tour of the fair city,what a treat :D .Heres a small tour:
PS:Thanks Rob and Maria,much appreciated!!
PS:Steve,I found a much nicer rock for your kickstand,hope to see you soon! :wink:
PS:pete,thanks for not piling us up with the swing bike,I didn't have to use my first aid kit at all :roll:
Thanks for a terrific day everybody,
Gary
005-16.jpg

006-10.jpg

007-10.jpg

009-4.jpg

014-3.jpg

015-6.jpg

018-10.jpg

020-2.jpg

022-2.jpg

024-6.jpg

025-2.jpg

028-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

006-10.jpg

035.jpg

033.jpg

030-1.jpg

Oh yeah was a real great day! Thanks to all the folks who attended, everyone enjoyed the ride and meeting the others. I heard nothing but nice comments from everyone who went, and the people we met as well.

twenty09fortt1.jpg

Nice meeting new friends and old, and a few who we have only spoken by email or phone.

twenty09start9.jpg

The dinner/lunch at Capt Scotts was second to none! Fish n chips, ice cream, boats, bikes, sun... perfect!

twenty09lineup4.jpg

That tiger bike, by the way was a classic example of what I consider the founding principle of Rat Rods- taking a cast-off old bike and turning it into something fun and unique. The orange Tyler girl's model was picked up from a church tag sale that I used to help organize. It didn't sell, for even $5, so I took it home. Short seatpost, small kid's seat, shorty bars, and a half-round rear fender. It's a weird bike anyway, built in Poland and originally a really cheap sideline for many discount department stores. This one has a Bendix 70 Mexico Redband with German rims, a tiny 3-piece crank, and 1.75 tires. I had an old Allstate slick on it but it turned out to be no good when we aired it up before the ride. The seat is a Fairlady seat recovered by a friend in tiger fabric... I didn't ask if a stuffed animal was skinned alive and she didn't tell. It also has a tail reinforced with coat hanger wire. The sissy bar is an old Huffy type piece,pulled out of a junkyard car trunk, and so rusty there was no choice but to paint it or toss it. A short musclebike type rear fender, a longer seat post, old Fairlady bars, and Esso tiger grips give it some attitude. The frame is striped with electrical tape, cut into patterns on a metal surface and then applied to the frame. A newer dept store tiger-head horn was a cool find for $5 so it went right on. Otherwise the chrome, frame paint, and rims are untouched Tyler parts- now the Tyler Tiger!

tigertyler2.jpg

tigertyler1.jpg

I'm glad someone got to enjoy this fun bike! We had a couple of girls who are "10 in a couple of weeks!" with us, and they loved it.

I'm not sure who had the most fun on this ride but everyone had bike smiles on their faces!
--Rob

Life gets in the way, had to work..........Hey that park looks good, WITHOUT rain! :lol:

Graylock said:
It was a great day for a ride. I had a good time riding with all of you. I spent hours trying to make this movie work and I think I got something now. Next time I'll take the time to make a better movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSLT2_sPIoo

GL
I like the name you gave it. Can I borrow that?
Did the swing bike and the kid collide?

cody-james said:
it was a narrow miss, it put the fear of swing bikes into nicolette :lol:

Nicolette doesn't fear swing bikes, she has a mutual understanding with them.

aka_locojoe said:
like the name you gave it. Can I borrow that? /quote]

Sure, it will be our secret.

GL

Bike Runs Preplan

Hey fellow bikers,
That was one terrific time thanks to Rob and Maria, hats off to you guys!!.With plenty of beautiful autumn weather ahead the boys and I are planning some return visits to the "East Bay Bike Path"in Rhode Island and the "Heritage Trail" in Farminton Ct .We also run the "Farminton Canal Greenway" in Chesire CT. all the time.These are all absolutely beautiful rail trails and are a treat to cycle,I really hope you can make plans to be with us.All bike runs are unscheduled at this point and are flexible as far as date, they will be on a Sunday,if it rains we'll just bump it to the next week.You will need a comfy bike as these trips run approximately 20 miles.Give a call if interested 203 757-7800 after 7.
PS: Rob I hope you and the boys can make some of these,I'll be calling you.
Cheers,
Gary
021-6.jpg

015-5.jpg

028-1.jpg

029.jpg

Re: Bike Runs Preplan

I'm really looking forward to joining you guys for your rides.

Maria's excited too. She can be a very strong rider and does actually get a little antsy when
the ride stops because "the bike guys" want to stop and talk...

The bike trails you've shown look like a really good time. Just give me some heads up when you're going.
This Sunday we are going to try to do our "road bike ride" around the area, but it looks like rain exactly
when we will need to get together.

We will try to reschedule that run if it's rained out, because it's a fun one, quite a bit longer, out to
Harkness State Park in Waterford- very cool spot on the ocean.

Harkness beach:
051509harkness.jpg

Mystic Whaler, Ledge Light, Thames River from Pequot Ave, a little further down than Ft Trumbull:
083109whalerledge.jpg

We will see you guys soon!
--Rob

Black Top Roller said:
Hey fellow bikers,
That was one terrific time thanks to Rob and Maria, hats off to you guys!!.With plenty of beautiful autumn weather ahead the boys and I are planning some return visits to the "East Bay Bike Path"in Rhode Island and the "Heritage Trail" in Farminton Ct .We also run the "Farminton Canal Greenway" in Chesire CT. all the time.These are all absolutely beautiful rail trails and are a treat to cycle,I really hope you can make plans to be with us.All bike runs are unscheduled at this point and are flexible as far as date, they will be on a Sunday,if it rains we'll just bump it to the next week.You will need a comfy bike as these trips run approximately 20 miles.Give a call if interested 203 757-7800 after 7.
PS: Rob I hope you and the boys can make some of these,I'll be calling you.
Cheers,
Gary

Re: One Fine Day in Rhode Island coming soon.

Terrific!!Everybody is certainly invited--I hope Maria doesn't mind being with us "chuckleheads" all day,my wife would normally come but she is very busy with school unfortunately.I am trying to get a bike run date together for the East Bay rail trail in Rhode Island for Sun the 11th or 18th of October when the leaves are in full color,talk about a beautiful rail trail :D. We will keep the date fluid in case of rain and only go if the weather is propitious.Theres a couple nice bars in Bristol that we like to "haunt" :wink:
PS:wish you were a little closer,we'd join you for that ride too!
Will keep in touch,Cheers,
Gary

Back