One for each President...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
...Washington and Lincoln, that is. (Technically, one was a Jackson and one was a Benjamin, but since today is Presidents Day and only one of those is a President, we'll stick with Washington and Lincoln, in their honor...)

Had to go in to work on everyone's day off (although there were a lot more people working than I expected), so every time I go in to town (100 miles round trip) I try to get a deal that at least pays for my gas. Today there were two...

First is a later-model Hawthorne tank bike. Been watching this one since I first spyed it in an antique mall, where it was wayyy overpriced (for it's condition, at least). It's probably been there the better part of a year, and was marked down to half price around Christmas, and still hadn't moved. I'd been tempted, but just had too much other money going out to take a chance on it. Today it was still there, so I made an offer and was able to get a little more money off of the price. Not really enough to make it a good flip as-is, but it reminds me of that old dog at the pound with the goofy fur that you know will love you to death, but will never get adopted unless you take it in. Got some other parts that may fit it's style, maybe build-off material? A little too far gone to restore, in my opinion:

nh3.jpg

nh2.jpg

nh1.jpg

The other find is kind of the same type of beast, just much cheaper. It's a Raleigh Gran Prix mixte. Nothing really special, but the parts that are supposed to move do so really well, and the parts that aren't supposed to move are nice and solid. Plus, it's got some really cool lug work, even if it is a plain ol' hi-ten frame:

rgp1.jpg

rgp2.jpg

rgp3.jpg

So, all in all, even with stupid-high gas prices, I feel like the day was a success. Oh yeah, I even got a little work done, too. 8)

Hard to believe those pics were today in Ohio.

Still snow on the ground here in NY, was out a little bit today and the shop is freeeeezing :(

summer - please come soon .

Ps: nice finds.

Latest posts

Back