Opinions needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking for opinions on tire style and handlebars
Do you like this?
null-4.jpg

Or this
null-5.jpg

Which tire looks better, the black or cream?
This is a 26 inch wheel set with a nexus 3 on it. The frame is an old lugged frame made for 27 inch wheels. Needless to say ill match the tape with the saddle.

What do you folks think?

I like the black tires myself, i also dig the drop bars better overall but with that stem the pull back bars look better.

Crème with the path racer bars.

I'm saying black, and i'm on the fence w/ the bars. I think the drop bars look cooler, but i might want the porteur bars if i was gonna be riding it a lot. More/better shifter options with the upright bars, too.

ps- i hope you've got some short cranks for it...

If you want it to look old, use the white tires. The black tire with the stripe makes the whole thing look modern. Gary

I like the black tires and flip the drop bars and cut them off into some mini bull horn bars. Like these:
2013_easton_delta_force_road_bike_handlebar.jpg

What sort of riding do you plan to do with it? I spend a lot time riding on drop bars, I'd favor that assuming the bike is going to be ridden a lot, and possibly quickly. If the intent is cruise slow on the occasional bike path, though, then the upright bars are better suited. Personally, I think that white or crème tires look great on medium to dark green paint jobs. Black tires are, well, just like every other common tire out there.

Dang it.....the shifter doesn't fit on either bars. Do I have any other options for shifters?

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...shimano-nexus-3-speed-right-hand-black-silver

These exist; everyone seems to be sold out of 'em right now. Might find some if you dig for them. If those are the totally bogus VO Belleville with the 23.8mm diameter, you'd still need to somehow spread the mount for that thumbshifter. I'd suggest getting some 7/8" bars but, this being RRB, I suspect that you won't.

Northroads'd look awesome on that build, though, and they'll fit the standard Nexus shifter. Easy to find for next to nothing, too.

My bike co-op is open tomorrow...I may run by on my lunch break and dig. I know they have some old 333 grip shifters, but those certainly wont fit. I'll dig through the bins

I doubt if you'll find a Shmano 3 speed-compat dt shifter. Stick-shift seems an unlikely co-op score, too, although your co-op may be different from mine. Some bars off an old brit 3 speed seem likely, though.... :mrgreen:

kim_dude said:
Anyone know off hand what a Torpedo 3 speed shifter's size is? Pretty sure theres one in my misc parts drawer somewhere.
7/8", won't fit the bars without mods, and won't work with the nexus hub.

I've decided to go the easier route and got some northroads from the co-op. I think I'll put them on upside down just because I can

Back