ORANGE CREAM BUILD DONE FOR THE MOST PART!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, i wasn't going to build another bike for a while and concentrate on my 53 chevy truck but i have gotten the bug and want to throw something together. here is what i have so far. a schwinn frame, truss fork from a hawthorne zep, creme thick bricks and a pal seat for a motorcycle. i have aluminum rims that will get painted and will make a custom set of inverted bars for it. i want to paint the frame and fork orange, the truss rods black, maybe a black sprocket and use the cream tires on it. i think i will also paint the rims orange or maybe a lighter shade of orange. there will be no seatpost, the seat will be bolted/welded to the frame-rigid. i will cut/weld up the seat tube opening tomorrow and try to get the seat mounted. i can hear the schwinn purists' yelling now! :D-cutting this frame. oh well, at least its not a phantom frame.
DSCF9278.jpg

Re: ORANGE CREAM

You ought to do one of thos double bars on the back ,like I put on my buildoff bike and then you could weld the seat to it and not have to mess up a frame....Just a suggestion though. :roll:

that would be cool to somehow mount the wheel off center like in your mock up. like extending the fork down and dropouts straight down so the frame sits up higher than usual. kinda gives off a Drastardly vibe in my head. but more of a sneakin around on tippy toes with his hands t-rex style.
dastardly.png

got the frame cut/welded today with the seat bracket welded to it also. need to do a little more clean up and ready to sand entire frame prime/paint. hope to have in paint by maybe end of weekend.
DSCF9279.jpg

Re: ORANGE CREAM BUILD UPDATE W/PIC 1/31

got the frame sanded/primed/painted today. used krylon pumpkin orange paint. anybody ever use this paint?! it is awesome stuff and cheap at wally world. i sprayed it outside in about 36degree weather and it still dried to the touch in about 5-10 minutes!!! :shock: you may notice some "blemishes" in the paint, yeah well, i brought the bike in my garage and hung it up and well my trusty coat hanger let go and down she went on the floor!!! :x :oops: well, after about 2 hours of steaming i came back and sanded the bad spots down. have to go back to wally world tomorrow and get another can of paint! i like the color and will be painting the rims a different shade of orange. what do you guys think, paint the forks orange or cream. the trusses will be black.
DSCF9305.jpg
DSCF9306.jpg

Re: ORANGE CREAM BUILD UPDATE W/PIC 1/28

Are we related??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
paint.jpg

heavydutybuild11.jpg

that's scarry stuff jimmyjam! :lol: great minds think alike! seriously though, this is awesome paint, isn't it! :D

It really is good stuff. I'm going to experiment with a ton a gloss on the next one! The colors are absolutely beautiful once laid on. :shock:

So is it Enamel or Lacquer? Looking good so far 8)

i think it is enamel?. there is actually nothing on the can that i seen that said but i may have missed it. i got the frame stripped, primed, and repainted after dropping the stupid thing! :x turned out really good and i used the krylon primer on the bare metal! hope to get the fork painted this weekend and maybe get started on the masking/painting of the wheels.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if you could take a couple detailed shots of the seat set up. My klunker needs a different set up. On mine some one pounded a pipe down the seat post, cant get it out so something different is in order.

necessaryevil said:
So is it Enamel or Lacquer? Looking good so far 8)

Sometimes it may not say on the can but if it dries in 10 minutes, my .02 cents worth thinks it may be Laquer. Enamel usually dries slower.

Re: ORANGE CREAM BUILD UPDATE W/PIC 2/17 NEED OPINIONS!!!

ok, so i kind of jumped the gun on this project by mounting the seat bracket and paint the frame and then finding out the rear wheel doesn't fit! :x thought of using 24 inch rear wheel, but didn't really want too so i instead cut off the dropouts and spaced them back an inch and it clears perfect now! also, i was going to paint the rims orange or tangerine. i am kind of liking the contrast of the aluminum, you guys let me know what you think.
DSCF9312.jpg
DSCF9314.jpg

Re: ORANGE CREAM BUILD UPDATE W/PIC 2/17 NEED OPINIONS PLEASE!!

looks good. if it were me i would do this and grind the welds.

dropout.jpg

yeah, i am going to grind the welds. :wink: just haven't gotten that far yet. will probably even put some body filler in them depending on smooth they are after grinding.

I can't quite picture the stance of this one finished... But I'm sure it is going to look cool.

Sweet. I'm loving the color, and really digging the calendar too! Is that a Diamond T, or a Federal? We have a whole bunch of Diamond T's here, but no federals- and all our D.T.'s are '50's. I can never tell the '40's D.T.'s from the Feds though, without being really close up. Like 1938-46 vintage? I really want a Diamond T model 222 pickup someday (that's the model with the International Harvester cab). :roll: I probably have a better chance of finding an aerocycle though. :lol:

Back