(ORBO) Klunkerbolt -DONE!-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mmm kay, I'm in... I bought this Firebolt on the bay about a year ago (I'll never do that again!). I've been wondering what to do with it and this build off came along. This will be a budget build Ratty Mc Ratter. I think I have most of the parts on hand. If I get ambitious I will clean and clear the frame. The steel cranks, stem and bars on the BMX are going on this bike. I've got a pair of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs for rubber and few forks to choose from. The rims shipped disassembled, the rear is a Bendix red band coaster, not sure where I will go with the rims yet. This will be my first klunker... looking forward to it!

My starting point.

F0Xv4NF.jpg

Forget about clean and clear, it's an off road build off. It'll probably get damaged anyway, I nearly chucked mine into the river today just because.

Klunkerbolt

Forget about clean and clear, it's an off road build off. It'll probably get damaged anyway, I nearly chucked mine into the river today just because.
Ha ha ! Reminds me BITD a buddy bought a shiny new Toyota SR5 pickup. First weekend he has it he takes it out in "Da Woods" and Monday he's all depressed. Whats's wrong ? "I dented my new truck", he says. :cry:
Go out at lunch and look at it and there's a dent on the sheet metal pan under the bumper - more like a nice deep scratch.
It's a TRUCK you take it out in the WOODS and USE IT, and that kinda stuff is just gonna happen, another buddy says. :cool:

Great frame ! Columbia really built some great bikes they get drowned out by some of the other big names but I personally think they have some of the coolest bikes out there [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started assembling the red band and it was missing the expander... I found some parts in my stash but it's not the same pitch. I assembled it and it doesn't stop the wheel, and the axel is bent. Gonna go to my LUBS and see if he has any parts.

TYdD3ZJ.jpg

Have you ever seen an old Columbia fork that wasn't bent to heck????

GRiAafE.jpg

Last edited:
Great frame ! Columbia really built some great bikes they get drowned out by some of the other big names but I personally think they have some of the coolest bikes out there [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed! I'm a sucker for these unique frames... this is one of the coolest ones!

It's a rider...

Ho6fspT.jpg

FYI, Bendix RB2 parts will fit and work in a RB shell. I had an old girls tank bike with the RB2 on it, the rim was wasted though.

The BMX cranks are bullet proof and the chain ring matches awesome. It's a 44 with a 20 in the rear.

rK38JEK.jpg

I went to my LUBS and found some peddles that are made by Odyssey and called "Triple Trap", these things are beasty and match the cranks and rat theme great. I also found the bars there, I'm thinking about welding a cross bar in them... what do ya think?

The fork, break and front wheel are off of a cheap Huffy MTB. I am going to patina the fork and try to match the dirty, ratty scratched up frame. I had the foam grips laying around and am happy with them too.

This thing rides GREAT! It brought back memories of my BMX days as a kid. We have some awesome single track trails at a local State park... This will be a blast to ride out there.

Last edited:
It's a rider...

Ho6fspT.jpg

FYI, Bendix RB2 parts will fit and work in a RB shell. I had an old girls tank bike with the RB2 on it, the rim was wasted though.

The BMX cranks are bullet proof and the chain ring matches awesome. It's a 44 with a 20 in the rear.

rK38JEK.jpg

I went to my LUBS and found some peddles that are made by Odyssey and called "Triple Trap", these things are beasty and match the cranks and rat theme great. I also found the bars there, I'm thinking about welding a cross bar in them... what do ya think?

The fork, break and front wheel are off of a cheap Huffy MTB. I am going to patina the fork and try to match the dirty, ratty scratched up frame. I had the foam grips laying around and am happy with them too.

This thing rides GREAT! It brought back memories of my BMX days as a kid. We have some awesome single track trails at a local State park... This will be a blast to ride out there.
Your build came out great !
Good to know about red band 2 speed and single speed compatibility - may just have to try that !
Love the beefy BMX crank - Before I knew better I passed on the remnants of a BMX bike for $5 at a swap - I remember thinking "what a cool crank" should of grabbed it ! :confused:

Your build came out great !
Good to know about red band 2 speed and single speed compatibility - may just have to try that !
Love the beefy BMX crank - Before I knew better I passed on the remnants of a BMX bike for $5 at a swap - I remember thinking "what a cool crank" should of grabbed it ! :confused:

Hey Horse. The Bendix RB2(red band 2) is a single speed coaster hub with one red band on it. The RB2 mark is on the break arm. There are other single band hubs with no RB2 designation on the arm. The internal parts, specifically the expanders are different. I took the whole assembly out of the RB2 hub and swapped it into the hub with the good rim that came with the bike. The Bendix kick back two speed hubs have three red, yellow or blue bands on them and the hub on those is a lot bigger than a single speed. I'm not sure why Bendix had two different hubs in the single band... maybe some on here knows???

Last edited:
I started assembling the red band and it was missing the expander... I found some parts in my stash but it's not the same pitch. I assembled it and it doesn't stop the wheel, and the axel is bent. Gonna go to my LUBS and see if he has any parts.

Have you ever seen an old Columbia fork that wasn't bent to heck????

GRiAafE.jpg
A good excuse to get a springer.

The fork looks cool. Any other pics ??

Bike is looking good. Nice backdrop of the flat irons and longs peak. [emoji106]

Building... riding...

Latest posts

Back