(ORBO) One Bad AMFer **Finished!**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still no drive train decisions as I haven't found a reasonably priced organ donor yet. In the meantime I managed to trade that set of bars even-Steven for a set that worked with the Redline stem. While digging through my parts stash I found a few items I should be able to use.
View attachment 16690
The black Norex leather saddle has been passed over for two previous projects but this time I think its found its home. I wasn't sure if I really liked the gold seat post as it is a shade off from the painted frame but I think the black clamp breaks it up enough.
View attachment 16692
The wheel is only there for mock up and I hope to find an anodized gold brake for the front and to black out the rest of the head set.
View attachment 16693
Not familiar with the Norex saddles, but that thing is sweet! A perfect fit for your build. That bike definitely has it going on! Keep the seat post for sure. Black and gold is a great combo.:113:

Not familiar with the Norex saddles, but that thing is sweet! A perfect fit for your build. That bike definitely has it going on! Keep the seat post for sure. Black and gold is a great combo.:113:

This one is stamped "Norex 39 Made in France". When I got it I thought it was odd that it said "Made in France" in English so I looked it up. Seems it was the same as the Ideale 39 and most people who have one, at atleast in this country, got them off Peugeot road bikes in the 70's.
p39%20Ideale%20saddles.jpg

This one is stamped "Norex 39 Made in France". When I got it I thought it was odd that it said "Made in France" in English so I looked it up. Seems it was the same as the Ideale 39 and most people who have one, at atleast in this country, got them off Peugeot road bikes in the 70's.
View attachment 16739
Yeah, getting one off a Peugeot road bike makes sense now that you mention it. Oui oui!

Gold post, gold brake, and maybe some gold pedals oughta tie it all together... It's looking good.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

I managed to pick up an organ donor today for $20. Plenty of inexpensive bikes out there but I was holding out for one with black rims. It was a little over my per-part budget but I might be able to strip something else off it for this project.

IMG_20160205_223059429.jpg

Nothing set in stone and I have a long way to go yet but at least I can get it on the ground in order to check out the stance.

IMG_20160205_225536821.jpg

Everyone else has been making so much progress it is time for me to kick it into gear. Last week I got the derailer on and tinkered around with the rear brake. The plate to mount the brake to is a strange shape in order to fit the original fender that hung on a tab. When I tried to mount a brake on there the angle was off and the arms banged into the stays. Not sure if I am happy with my spacer solution but it fits.

IMG_20160305_220455557.jpg

IMG_20160305_221004278.jpg

I also managed to get a better pic of the saddle.
IMG_20160305_220202992.jpg

Managed to pick up a different chanring and spider. Now I am just waiting for my gold chainring bolts to come in before I can finish up the drivetrain.

IMG_20160304_203418059.jpg

And last but not least I got a package in the mail yesterday.
IMG_20160305_214040337_HDR.jpg

Its going to be a busy couple of weeks!

Sweet cables! And a lot of other cool add on's [emoji605]

Building... riding...
Thanks, I'm partial to anything black and white checkerboard on it. Not sure if I am going to keep the big shiny pie plate I threw on the rear. I had it laying around so I thought I would see how it looks but I think it may need to be painted black.

Looks like you've got all the parts to start your way down the back stretch.....fancy cable housing!

Got the brakes set up. Still looking for a shifter and the right pedals or crank but there is a bike swap this weekend. With any luck I will be riding it next week.
IMG_20160309_193901918.jpg

Gold chainring bolts came in and I was able to get the derailer hooked up. Still looking for pedals but it is otherwise a rider.
IMG_20160312_165230360.jpg
IMG_20160312_165243378.jpg
IMG_20160312_165302970.jpg

After a little testing I had a few issues arise. Some were easy like swapping out some bearings but I also had tire issues. First off it was a VERY tight squeeze getting the rear tire in there. Secondly, I hated them. I tried to sand the Mongoose logo off but that only turned the lettering from gold to bright white. I decided to bite the bullet and I drilled a hole in the dropout for the derailer. This allowed me to slide the wheel back enough to put something a little meatier on there. My LBS was very generous and hooked me up with some red-walls that originally belonged to a Schwinn Mesa. Not sure if these pics show it or not but the red-walls tie in almost perfectly with the badge and shifter.
IMG_20160329_221039620.jpg

IMG_20160329_221118886.jpg

I am lucky enough to have a buddy who is also into bikes and is a photographer. If the weather cooperates I should have some decent pics tomorrow. If it doesn't cooperate I should have some pretty lousy pics tomorrow.

Love the gold nuggets on your ride! The "hidden" rear cogs look is cool , red walls, .....looks like it's headed for the Finished Line! Nicely done!

Latest posts

Back