Original Paint Recovery Breaking Bad!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It is better to be lucky than good...

I bought this frame because I saw the light aqua color peeking thru some chips and thought it was the original paint... and that a clever fellow like me might resurrect it. :) Turns out... this frame had 4 layers of paint. The aqua was layer 2. The original paint was actually black with red trim. The predominant medium blue was layer 3. There was a navy blue that was layer 4.

I spent several hours up to my elbows in caustic, carcingenic chemicals and this is all I have to show for it. :( The top navy layer (4) came off fairly readily leaving a mostly uniform layer 3. But NOOOO.... I was greedy and wanted to recover the Aqua... So I kept at it and this is where I quit. Layer 3, the medium blue is hard as nails, and does not want to release without taking everything with it, down to bare metal.

I will probably roll with this actually... as crazy as it sounds, I will have to match a fork.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the bare metal look... so what now? I am old school and will proceed as if it was still 1972... :eek: ??? ::)

I moonlighted in body and paint, and auto restoration many years ago while in college. The state of the art then (and I have not yet been convinced to the contrary) was the certainty that a sound original finish was the best possible substrate for your new finish. This finish, all 3 remaining layers, is SOUND. So... I will refinish over this after feathering out the chips, nicks and any other "variations in elevation". The main risk I face is that the new finish may swell or "raise" one of the earlier layers. Since pretty much everything old is better than everything new; I am betting against it. ;)

Latest posts

Back