Original paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a way to make the original paint look newer on a vintage bicycle
aduhu5ab.jpg
just looks dull.

I give them a gentle scrubbing with soap and water, then wax a few times with ordinary car wax. Watch the white trim and lettering they might rub off.

I've used car polish first, applied/removed with a microfiber towel and then car wax....makes 'em sparkle like new. :D

I love Meguiars Color-X restorer. It's great for this old paint since it has very minimal cut, so thin paint need not worry, but really pulls the color back.. then I always polish with an old (unused, mind you!) cloth diaper.

Tear the whole bike down, much easier than trying to work around everything......
I always use automotive rubbing compound & old t-shirts ( very carefully , especially on the white and silkscreening :wink: ).
Then I go over it with Simonize brand wax ( any good wax will do , use your car wax that's already opened in the garage that you use on your vehicles :mrgreen: )

I never repaint. I always polish turds :lol:
To me , a repaint looks like a new Wallyworld bike. A polished turd is NEVER mistaken as new. Embrace the nicks and scratches ( if only the bike could talk )
Get the original paint as shiny as it will come back to life ( story of my life :wink: )

Just my 2 cents

qft Wildcat: Careful with the rubbing/polishing compound on that Sears bike, Gumbyack: the white details are easily wiped out with abrasives.
Used to use Schwinn spray wax a lot, dunno if it's available anymore...suggest using some Pledge on it. Fog the whole thing down and wipe it clean...you might be surprised, usually good results with less effort than taking it all apart and polishing/waxing.

junknutz1975 said:
Embrace the nicks and scratches ( if only the bike could talk )

I agree....original paint tells the story of the bike's life and exudes character. :D

For most of mine I just wash it really well after blowing it apart, hand buff the parts with a shop towel to remove any dirt or oxidation and re-clear everything with 3 coats of gloss clear if I want a good shine, satin clear if I want a low shine, or flat clear if I don't want to change it a bit. The clear will also seal and protect it from further rust and patina.

Back