Original Vs. Custom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I had a conversation last night about my lack of ability to leave anything alone. She thinks there may be something wrong with me because no matter what I have, I have to change something about it. My argument is this, I don't like to own anything that I can see another one of. Is that so wrong? Everything I have has to be different. The "argument" stemmed from buying a new bike and changing things on it within the first day of having it.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Depends on the bike, I guess. I have never bought a new bike so I can't speak to that aspect. On my older bikes if it is all original and the components are in restorable shape then it will stay that way (chances are that I won't see one anyway). If it is missing parts or the parts are in rough shape then I get another custom bike.

I am the same way, so far the only thing in the house that is left stock is the fridge but I'm getting ideas...... :idea: :mrgreen: :idea:
fridge1xx5.jpg

no_clear_fridge_1_1_1.jpg

:lol: thats what i do. i got a perfectly fine 20" typhoon(except for the paint), went a lil crazy and turned up with this:
SANY0162.jpg

Buck, I think that anything a person owns should be customized/personalized. It's easy to let corporate manufacturers dictate what the public is suppose to want, but only a true individual knows what he/she wants. Whether you build a full blown custom or add a horn to your bike, only then do you make it your own! Put your Freak on it!

I sometimes get confused as to how people differentiate between the words 'original' and "restored" and "custom". I know everyone has their own interpretation but to me "Original" is the way it came directly from the manufaturer. Taking something and making it look like it originally did with the correct parts and paint is "Restored". From that point on, anything that wasn't original to the product is a customization.
I'll go one step further and add that in my opinion if you buy a complete original bike and add a horn or different handlebars it is customized. Even a bike that you bought with dealer add on accessories is no longer original,it's customized. In short, something changes from the original manufacturers intentions then it's a custom piece.

the idea of not making changes is so foriegn to me that i couldn't come up with an arguement for it. it's like the "why climb the mountain?" question. why? because i can.

my first schwinn chopper i never put together. got a clearance one at biglots, took the frame out of the box and cut it.

my house, cars, anything. my brother used to tease me about puling up a chair and staring at things. wondering what to try next on them.

My wife gets on me all the time about this sort of thing... I have a motto, "If it ain't modified, then it ain't mine!"

by Buck Masterson on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:32 pm

My wife and I had a conversation last night about my lack of ability to leave anything alone. The "argument" stemmed from buying a new bike and changing things on it within the first day of having it.

Simplied statement: wife and I -- conversation -- The "argument". Got the picture. Answer:Yes Honey I don't like to have what everyone else has---I want what I like and I want it to be the only one like it---that's why I married you.

Anyone can own 'a' bike. Customizing makes it "your" bike. 8)

Back