Outskirtscustom's 1980 Dodge Van Project: parking solutions DEMOLITION!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know what would be ironic; stickers on the driver door like they put on the bomber planes of cyclist you've 'taken' out.
Maybe silhouette's of lycra shorts with a line through them! :grin:

Luke.

Well I finally got the van home! My fiance called a tow truck and had it towed to my back yard to surprise me for valentine's day. She's the best. So I can now start working on it as soon as the weather allows. Few more pictures:

Last edited:
Well the weather wasn't too horrible today so I got out a few cleaning rags and some spray and went to work on it.

Seat before / after

Arm rest before

After

Other side turned out nice too

Steering wheel before

After... and still not done it was disgustingly filthy

Previous owner insulated it but the foam insulation is so old it's crumbling, I'm going to wait and get some dust masks before I deal with that.

Dash is nice! Still got to get some goo gone to get some Velcro residue off

The Velcro is from a dashmat? Probably why the dash is in such good shape!

Luke.
Nope, old insurance company calender I pulled off the dash, the dash is nice because it's been in a garage most of it's life. It was really dry so I soaked it down with all kinds of cleaners, DE-greasers, and conditioners to breathe life back into it. Same for the seats, I also think the years of grease and oil on the guy's hands preserved the steering wheel and other stuff. I think the steering wheel had more crud on it than the engine lol.

Last edited:
Today's progress: Got the warped roof paneling out and most of the crumbling insulation out with it. I also got half the remaining insulation off the roof. Felt like it was snowing inside the van. Also found a second small hole in the roof near the back but it is in the exact spot I want to put a roof vent in so that gives me an excuse to do it. Also noticed these yellow plugs in the back and looking closer this van has had a Ziebart treatment at one time or another.

Roof is getting all the insulation removed. I got something special planned for this but got to patch that hole first.

The side paneling is in decent shape so I'm going to leave it in till I get new stuff then I can trace it so I get a good tight fit.

Ziebart plugs

duct+tape.+tags+say+all_5368a3_3941242.jpg

I actually have a sign hanging in my room that says "If you've got duct tape I can fix it".

Seriously though I really want to fix it right and not cut any corners on it but I am working on a slim to non-existent budget so my preliminary build will be sort of rat rod style using what I can get cheap or free. I already have a plan for the headliner using something I got at a yard sale last year. I measured it and it will fit like a glove side to side and from the front seats back.
5 ft. x 8 ft. exactly.

Hint: 6 of what's in the picture, and 7 red ones.
The%2BWhite%2BStripes6.jpg

Nice base to start with. Youll have fun with that once its on the road. I store my Corvan for the winter and I am missing driving it. Its a blast, love old vans. I did pull it out last night to work on my new/old blazer so at least I got to do that. lol

I think itd look killer painted like that Haro team van.

Today's Progress: I got the tile floor torn up and swept out the crumbling insulation and about choked my lungs out. This stuff it nasty.

Found a few spots that need attention

If your side and back doors feel floppy on their hinges it is the hinge pins. They are common thing to rust out on those old Doge vans.

You will also find that it has an electronic ignition module most likely. The only thing I hate about vans is they are a pan to work on their engines. About 2/3 is gotten to from inside the vans passenger area and the other 1/3 is from the front or underneath it.

I will also be shocked if it only has a single barrel carb on it and not a double barrel. Unless it is the 198 slant six. Make sure to check the bypass cooling hose that is part of the water pump assembly. They are a pain to fix out on the road and if it goes it will pump all your coolant out really fast.

Thanks for the tip, all the doors have zero sag and open and close like new so no worry there. I kinda like how the engine sits in it, the slant 6 has plenty of space around it from the inside to reach anything you need to. It is a 225 Slant 6, I looked at the carb just glancing at it and it looks like a 1 barrel but I'll look closer later today.

I believe a 1980 would probably have come with a 2 bbl. carb/EGR system, but I don't have a book that recent or any 80 Dodges rusting in the drive, so I won't swear to it.:grin: They weren't producing smaller slant 6 engines at that time.

I want to stay on a budget and keep MPG up so that would be cool but I think I may pass. Carb alone would be more than I paid for the van. I do like that color though.

Latest posts

Back