Outskirtscustom's 1980 Dodge Van Project: parking solutions DEMOLITION!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of thought it had well over 100K miles due the the seat wear and other things I saw in your pictures. Don't worry to much about that as the 225 slant sixes are strong little motors that can take a real beating and keep on going. I've seen one still run that had its number six connecting rod go through the engine block wall behind the starter. They use to use these engines if I remember right for the dirt oval track race cars because of their hard running abilities.

Yeah I'm not worried about it, from what I have read and heard 225's are pretty much bulletproof and if it was too bad they are cheap enough to rebuild. The guy said when they retired it that it ran like new and still got 20MPG.

My phone was nearly dead and on the charger and it was getting dark so I didn't get pictures today but I got most of the window tint scraped off the rear windows. Still got a bit more to do so I'll get pictures tomorrow.

I'm excited for you, what a fun project. Lots of businesses or organizations that use 14 passenger vans, due to new insurance regulations, are having to remove the rear seat, so ask around, some are just sitting gathering dust. If I had a fullsize van I'd put a bench seat against the side opposite the doors, like a couch, then you could still put a bed in the back and still haul bikes in the middle.

That's an idea but I kinda have my heart set on finding some captain chairs for the front and center then either bed in the back or leave it empty. The captain chairs are just so comfortable for long road trips.

The captain chairs are just so comfortable for long road trips.

That's true, but I'd think you'd be driving! haha

My parents always had full size vans when I we were growing up. The last one was an '86 Ford, it had captain's chairs in the middle that reclined and swiveled around, they would lock in place forward or backward facing and had arm rests.

I like yoot's idea about a sideways bench. Leaves lots of lengthwise room for bikes.

That's true, but I'd think you'd be driving! haha

My parents always had full size vans when I we were growing up. The last one was an '86 Ford, it had captain's chairs in the middle that reclined and swiveled around, they would lock in place forward or backward facing and had arm rests.

That's what I want to put in mine, Maybe not the reclining ones but the nice high back plush seats with arm rests that feel like a lazy boy sofa rather than cheap office furniture. Yes I will be driving (My fiance can't drive a stick) but why not be comfortable? My grandpa used to have a Ford Econoline luxury van with the lights, tv, vcr, the big captain chairs and the bed / seat in the rear to me it was a bit gaudy but it was comfortable. Those seats were great on long trips and the most comfortable seats you can get in an automobile. I definitely don't want to put the folding bed in the back because they are a pain to remove and are heavy plus they take up so much space and being a shortie van space is not huge anyway.

I've been thinking of fabricating a 3 piece system that would fold against the walls of the van so they are out of the way then fold down for sideways seating then the third section would double as a center console for the middle but slide it back between the back sections and it would make a bed.

Last edited:
Little more progress I got the wood sub floor torn up and I am down to metal inside the van. I am pleasantly surprised the floor looks very solid and only a bit of rust in the usual corners and such but all easy fixes.

Around the fuel fill neck I'm going to have to do a bit of surgery but this is the worst of it.

I already love her or I wouldn't go through the headache of removing all that nasty insulation, paneling, tile, then picking glue out of the screw heads that held the plywood down just so I could see the floor. It smells 10 times better inside now. I have tons of cool ideas for it and I can't wait for warm weather so I can really get crackin' on it.

Yeah but trying to get stuff done with no money is no picnic either. It's been too cold to really do well selling bikes but I do have a few ready for spring selling.

i hear ya bro.
shes a good van and i cannot wait to see how she comes out.
i understand with the money situation i gotta sell my old Schwinn so i can finish my motorcycle project.
it will all come together though and when you are done you will be happy.
Sean

Yep, I sold my Mongoose Beast and my PS3 system and traded my .410 shotgun to get the van. I plan to sell a few more bikes but I am keeping my KHS. Probably throw a bunch of parts on here to sell as well when it warms up enough to clean out the shed.

Little more progress today: I fixed a few cracks in the plastic grill that will be going on the van. This is a technique I have used for years and it works surprisingly well. I take a soldering iron or wood burning kit in this case (same thing just different tips that can be useful) and I melt the plastic back together then with a bit of sanding nobody will ever know it was ever broken.

The whole turn signal bucket was broken from the main section on top and just hanging on by the bottom so I pressed it together as tight as I could and carefully moved the flat tipped iron over the plastic to mend it back together from the back then after it cooled off I let go and moved on to the front. Stinks like heck but holds strong as if it had never been broken.

Well not much to report due to the weather but i have been thinking of some of the small details and I have come up with exactly how I want the van to look. I was looking at images of custom dodge vans and came across an add for the "Street Van" and I knew then I had to have those emblems for mine. For those who don't know they look like this:
streetvan_emblems.jpg

Now the bad news... For a pair of ones that are pitted and need paint you're looking at $200, for a pair in decent shape that need paint $300, and NOS is like $400-$500. OUCH!

So what to do... I came up with a genius plan with so many pros and not a single con I can think of. I am going to shave the emblems but not shave entirely... Like a 5 o'clock shadow. I'm going to fill in the holes entirely then have them airbrushed on.

Pros:
I don't have to spend $400 on emblems

No holes in the doors for rust to attack

No chance of someone with a screwdriver stealing my $400 emblems or damaging them trying.

Gives a custom shaved look

Reduces air resistance caused by the emblem so better gas mileage... slightly...Hey every little bit helps.

Back