Oxalic acid?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I don't have an ace hardware here so I need to order online! How much do I need to buy? What is the ratio to water I need to mix? Thanks!

I got mine at a little, old school hardware store that every town has, not Ace in particular. So any little one would be worth checking out, also look for Wood bleach, which is what mine is branded as. All the big box stores have moved away from these chemical things that actually work so the small places are where to look :lol:

But! I usually use a couple tablespoons (it's powder) per gallon-ish with good results. Make sure you use hot water when you make up the batch. I'll rejuvenate the soak tub over time with another tablespoon or two and more hot water as it evaporates off. Though, eventually you have to dump it and start fresh as it loses effectiveness over time.

Black Crown Tattoo said:
Thanks man! How big of a tub? Gallons?

I've seen people who fill tubs they can fit frames in but I've never done that. I use a 24" diameter circular tub. It's only a couple inches tall but wide and circular to handle rims and any parts smaller than that. I think mine was a hot water tank drip tray from Depot. I looked forever for a plastic one and just now found something that would have worked at Michaels or JoAnn fabric. If you get a metal tray though, you must line it with something or it will be eaten through :lol: voice of experience talking here.

I ended up getting a kiddy pool for $6 at Dollar General at the end of the season. I used the standard sized Savogran tub (12oz), mixed with 5 gallons of water. It is just about enough to fill the pool, and when I'm done I pump it back into five 5 gallon buckets with lids from Lowes.

What does it do?

bike2112 said:
I picked up 2 gallons of hydrochloric acid from home depot for 13 bucks. It is strong stuff. Still playing around with the ratios, but did dip a completely rusty chain in it and let sit overnight, took it out and it was completely shiny with no cleaning after. I'll throw some pics up later this evening.

I definitely need that lol I have a skiptooth that's real rusty. Did you dip it in 100% hydrochloric acid or did you delute it?

Likely quite diluted hydrochloric acid. 100% will dissolve.. well.. just about anything :lol:
Even with a light acidity, you still have to keep an eye on the stuff as it will eat your metal parts. Definitely no painted stuff in HCA.

Jpromo said:
Black Crown Tattoo said:
Thanks man! How big of a tub? Gallons?

.....I use a 24" diameter circular tub..... If you get a metal tray though, you must line it with something or it will be eaten through....

I think I accidentally stumbled onto a "Breaking Bad" forum... :wink:

Jpromo said:
Likely quite diluted hydrochloric acid. 100% will dissolve.. well.. just about anything :lol:
Even with a light acidity, you still have to keep an eye on the stuff as it will eat your metal parts. Definitely no painted stuff in HCA.

Okay I'll give it a try on something unimportant first to get an idea

Will, what do ya need dipped? I have a 10 galon batch container that does 1/2 a 26" wheel at once, or a lot of cranks,bars,stems,etc. I can do them for ya.PM me.Its actually a plastic drum for 1/2 barrels of beer. I bet 24", by about 20" deep. Get the parts to Jeff, im headin down weds. night. Gotta take him parts I owe him. Ill get them back to him by the weekend

I decided to try wood bleach for a badly rusted Spaceliner rear rack that had the tailight battery box ( with old time leaky flashlight batteries still in it ) . Severe rust/crust in that area. So I checked oxalic acid,and wood bleach on the web. Lowes came up with OLYMPIC ( cedar @ redwood ) DECK BRIGHTENER, so I bought a gallon jug. Contains Oxalic Acid Dihydrate. I also bought a plastic wallpaper water tray to soak the rack. It worked but took a week,using it full strength. It also started removing some of the paint.The oxalic acid crystals do not stay dissolved in the solution. They all settle to the bottom,so you have to stir it a couple of times a day.

I think you're wasting money with deck brightener. One $8 container of the Savogran wood bleach crystals is enough to make 25 gallons of OA solution, which is enough to do whole frames or wheels, if you have a container big enough. That concentration will also work overnight, generally speaking, and in my experience will not harm paint (but don't hold me to that, I don't want to be responsible for ruining anyones vintage paint. Use at your own risk)

:shock: wow. I just using rust remover little bottle from hardwares and soak it on 180 grit sponge and sanding rust out. Wondering how well oxalic acid can do a job.

Voyager Al said:
Toe is correct. Overnight if you have the right product mixture. I use 1 tub per gallon of Ace Wood Bleach. And YES it will hurt paint.

That concentration you are using may be causing your paint problems. I forget where I got my information to begin with, but I was told early on that it would not harm paint or decals at a concentration of a couple tablespoons per gallon of water.

Back