Oxidized metal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey There,

So I am starting a rat rod project with a 52 schwinn typhoon. I really like the oxidized metal look on rat rod cars and want to use that look for my project. The bike doesn't have oringinal paint, so my plan is to use chemical combination to create a uniform oxidation over the whole frame. Then my plan reaches a problem, can I clear coat the oxidized frame!?!? I want to protect the rust finish, but I don't know if clear coating the oxidation is even possible.. This may be an idiotic plan , but if anyone could provide advice it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Quite a few people on here have done the clear coat over rust trick, seems to work out pretty well! There was even one who completely stripped his frame, rusted it with acid and then sprayed multiple coats of clear with glitter in it...

Luke.

The frame I just bought has a clear coat over the rust it has.... I will let you know how it looks in a week or so...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

I washed a rusty frame with soap and water, dried it good, then cleared it with Krylon satin. It came out a nice brown color. BTW, they didn't make Typhoons in '52. Maybe '62, but not '52. 8) Gary

I've got my new well old seat soaking in ajax degreaser and going to clear coat it matte later today or tomorrow...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

satin clear over rust works great. I have bikes about 4 years old like that and they still look great.

In really humid weather, you might get a hazy look to the clear coat, but it will go away when the dryer weather returns.

A Wasp is way better than a Typhoon, IMO. The last balloon tired bike Schwinn made in Chicago. Gary

Back