Pack Rats--Quick update 27 Nov

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Pack Rats

A little more done last night....

Put a fat tire on it to check for fit. The fat tire is about an inch and a half larger in diameter that a regular 20x2.125. I had to cut away more of the original cross braces to get it to fit. Not neccessarily a bad thing......it gave me a new idea for a rear rack. I also test fitted a different chain guard. Won't know if it work or not until the new BB is welded on.

17383534417596-vi.jpg

22383534422395-vi.jpg

I'm going to make a folding/collapsable tall sissy bar for it. I like the height of this one but it wont conform to Amtrak size limitations.

00383348940532-vi.jpg

New front tire came in themail too. 20x1.75 yellow stripe with directional tread. I love this tire! I mayhave to buy a couple more for future builds!

C16NHJHEE9ny2qTpBQG0NZeiRg60_3-vi.jpg

LukeTheJoker said:
Looking good! Love the look of it with the sissy bar!

Luke.

Thanks Luke! I'm having a blast building these two! The problem I've run into is I keep finding neat detail pieces on eBay and have a hard time not buying every one of them... :shock: That starts to add up very quickly!

Worked on the Red one (used to be) last night.....

Test fitted a rear fender:
16383623996717-vi.jpg

And a front fender:
28383624668243-vi.jpg

A couple minor adjustments and they should be okay.

Then I saw this:
53383625053949-vi.jpg

Since I'm converting the rear to hand brakes I didn't think of the hub being thicker than the sprocket on a coaster hub. Hopefully a couple small shims will take care of this.

And then I spent a little time polishing the rust off the lights from the green bike:
43383625043526-vi.jpg

love the big back tire looks great so far...

i am not sure about your folding bike but i have a peugeot folding bike that when i installed ape hangers i started notesing flex in the head tube due to the single tube design so i welded a bracket to stop the flex....

just some food for thought..

keep up the great work i always enjoy your builds

Von Stans said:

i am not sure about your folding bike but i have a peugeot folding bike that when i installed ape hangers i started notesing flex in the head tube due to the single tube design so i welded a bracket to stop the flex....

Thanks for the info. Can you post a pic of what you did? I think I'm picturung what you're talking about but want to make sure.

Thank you for the compliment too! I enjoy building them!

Chips_Mahoy said:
Von Stans said:

Thanks for the info. Can you post a pic of what you did? I think I'm picturung what you're talking about but want to make sure.

Thank you for the compliment too! I enjoy building them!

100_0454.jpg

100_0617.jpg

They are way old pics and yes the parts are hanging in the bathroom drying

Gusset that's the word I am looking for..... Ya the first time I had the bike together before I welded that on I was going down a steep hill I could feel the frame flexing at the neck but after I welded it on tight like a bank vault

I'll be fabbing some up for them now. Thanks for the tip!

Got my nipples in the mail along with a "special" light that I won't divulge until its finished....

My front wheel arrived today. So as soon as I got home from work I mounted up my yellow stripe tire and put it all together for a look-see. The yellow stripe is really going to look good once all the color is done. Right now I'm thinking up ideas for some gussets to strengthen the neck.

46383962546889-vi.jpg

It's been a little while since I've posted an update. I've been so busy with everything and a little more that I haven't really touched a bike. So this isn't a huge update, but just to let you know the project isn't dead.....

Removed the original bottom bracket:
43384142304005-vi.jpg

Welded on the new/OCC one:
10385858330977-vi.jpg

12385858332736-vi.jpg

I'll clean up the welds, strip the paint, and then it's time for color!!

LukeTheJoker said:
looks like you did a nice job of fitting it up.

Luke.

That was some precision eye ballin' going on there. It was kinda like...."That looks good. Hold.....Tack...OUCH! Adjust.....check....hold..hold....tack.....OUCH!" It works for me tho... :D

Chips_Mahoy said:
Hold.....Tack...OUCH! Adjust.....check....hold..hold....tack.....OUCH!
My wife commented "That sounds like the same method you use..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luke.

No updates to share. I've been house hunting and and will be moving in about 6 weeks. So bikes are on the back burner for a little bit unless I miraculously come across some free time..... :D

LukeTheJoker said:
Don't worry, we will still be here watching when you come back to it! :wink:

Luke.

Thanks! I've get to get the logistics worked out of moving my stuff, 4 vehicles, 4 lawn tractors, 1 fishing boat, 60 bikes, 2 dogs/kennels and anything else I've forgotten!!

Back