Paint/Make a frame CHROME?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use Rustoleum's Chrome in a Can :wink: It doesn't look like chrome though as you can see :roll:
003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

Pearl clearcoat. :idea:
weekend-fun said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:
You can use Rustoleum's Chrome in a Can :wink: It doesn't look like chrome though as you can see :roll:
,SCHWINNRAY69
Yeah I saw thought before. I was thinking about doing that, but is there anything that is more of a "gloss" tone?

Sam

blasting the frame and clearing it wont give you a chrome look(itll look like steel and actually have a yellow or greenish tint from the clear depending on what brand clear you use....cheaper stuff will be really bad high end stuff wont be as bad but it wont look at all like chrome).....as for chrome in a can(aka chrome spray paint)....ive never seen anything that even comes close to real chrome....testors is the best looking ive seen but you can tell its not chrome from a distance though.....
the only way its going to look like chrome is to either have it plated or get a 3 stage paint job with the real chrome stuff, or there was something on the west coast customs show a few years ago where they had something to plate it then cleared it.....

It can be done...but its gonna take the patience of a SAINT to do it.

Start by sanding EVERY square inch of a bare metal frame with #400 paper

Then go to #600 then #800 then #1000 etc.

Now POLISH it starting with the hardest cutting compound working up to the smoothest polish (several steps)

WAX it or clear coat it.

You MUST COMPLETE EVERY STEP ON EVERY SQUARE INCH...or else the end result will be a life long ending tribute to your laziness (heh)

But you get to stand back and think to yourself..."Was it worth it all?"

Might be cheaper and easier to just have it chrome plated...or powder coated "chrome"

To me it looks like very highly polished aluminum.

But Chrome is Chrome...thats the only way your gonna get it.

...and it aint cheap.

Hey Mini,Would you ever shave with a straight edge razor with the reflection of the description you just described? (heh)

(Only funnin' with ya)

Back