paint removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just got some bikes that have some kind of brushed on paint. Any ideas on how to remove this safely? I have been using fingernail polish remover and Goof off with minimal results. I am beginning to see my red western flyer under all this blue and gray layers of paint.

Use ezoff oven cleaner. It will usually take off old house paint and not touch what is underneath. Be careful and don't spray it in your eyes or on bodyparts. Have water close.

You can use the marine paint remover but pretty much need to brush it on wait a minute or so then wipe it off (repeat as necessary) in my experience it takes 15+ minutes to get off the original paint but devours everything on top of it really quickly. You definitely want to test it somewhere nobody looks first though.

that orange gel paint remover available at Home Depot works pretty good. I like water clean-up. Use a cheap throw-away paint brush to put it on. An old pocket knife scrapes it off. After totally dry, a wire brush on a drill gets the remaining gel/paint off. Wear a mask, as you will be putting that stuff in the air around you.

The advantage of the gel is that if does not run all over the place. The spray on Aircraft paint remover at Pep boys does well, but it scares me to have that stuff floating around in the air when you spray it on. Be careful and wear a good mask/glasses/long sleeves. I still have a 1/2 can you could have free if you dropped by the house! :D

Uncle Stretch said:
Use ezoff oven cleaner. It will usually take off old house paint and not touch what is underneath. Be careful and don't spray it in your eyes or on bodyparts. Have water close.

How long do you leave it on for? Just spray and wipe or do you have to scrub it with something?

I had best results with goof oof. Oven cleaner didn't want to work on this stubborn paint. Thanks for the help though. :mrgreen:

I left it on for about thirty minutes or so and then just rinsed it off with a water hose. It worked perfect on my roadmaster frame. The original paint was left untouched.

different paints require different paint removers. was it water based house paint, enamel, lacquer, other?

usually a product advertised as a paint remover will do the job, time is relative, when the paint starts lifting or bubbling up, and stops it's time to start scraping, washing, etc. Many times, multiple attacks are necessary. In other words, you basically have to observe what is happening and play it by ear.

I like the water based removers, many times hitting it with a high pressure water spray will save you a lot of scraping, buffing and sanding. As I said before, I also like a product that sticks to the paint and does not fill the air that I breath or get in my eyes.

Be careful.

sensor said:
here ya go
sythenticreducer.jpg

103_0020.jpg

103_0019.jpg

its available at lowes & home depot
pricey though

Latest posts

Back