Paint removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm going to word this very carefully to avoid any double entendres, although I know very well what the responses will be like :mrgreen:

I'm in the process of removing the paint from a frame and the paint strippers (Poly Super Strippa and some aerosol spray stuff) I have tried so far are less than satisfactory. The frame in question has a coat of house paint over the factory Schwinn paint, and interestingly enough, it is the house paint causing the problems.

I'm thinking something automotive or aircraft might do the trick - anybody have any specific brand or type to suggest?

Thanks

Mp

stripper

I have used Bulldog flexible bumper paint remover for cars and it works pretty good...UNLESS youre trying to save the original paint. It'll eat it down to bare metal. Found it at Autozone...$6 bucks a can.

Thanks Markm - bare metal is what I'm shooting for. The original paint under the house paint is/was pretty far gone.

I apply the stripper and wrap it all with wax paper. I use the cheap kind from Big Lots. I really wrap it squeezing it next to the frame with my hands and use tape. I let it sit for several hours or overnight. It takes a few applications. After scraping and steel wool I use a flapper wheel in my drill, then hand sand and then dental picks that I got a few years ago at Duluth Trading. It takes patients to remove the paint and you really can't get it all around the seatpost clamp, especially inside the clamp.

Back