Paint Scheme on Rear Rack - Completed 12/12

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brethren, Below is a pic of when this rear rack was light blue and dark blue. It's going to be repainted red and cream. (The rest of the bike is red with minimal creme accents.) Can I get opinions/ideas/comments on which parts of it should be red and which parts should be cream? You know like "red where it's light blue, cream where it's dark blue" or vice versa type comments. And if anyone has pics of this same rack in different paint schemes I'd be much interested in seeing them. I'm tempted to tape it off differently than it was originally since it has great lines in the indents that would look pretty cool painted in contrasting colors. Anyway, thanks, I respect and appreciate your opinions.
Rearrack004.jpg

Rearrack002.jpg

BTW, who made this rack anyway? I'd have better luck googling an image if I knew who made it.

Re: Paint Scheme Opinions on Rear Rack Please

Id say the whole thing red, but the raised centre section cream... maybe (y'know the bit, the ridge down the middel and ridges either side... for what my descriptions worth anyways) or the light blue edging in cream and everything else red with just a cream stripe on the middle ridge... I suppose it all depends on the red:cream ratio your after... just realised that wasn't any help at all... sorry buddy

slick rack though 8)

Naw Dee Em, you might not think it's a help but it really is. Thanks for your ideas. And I need more!

jc higgins colorflow rack i believe. id go cream over the light blue and red over the dark blue. or enitre thing red with cream for the top two grill looking sections and a cream pinstripe to break up the top from the bottom.

Thanks Jeremy. I like both of your ideas. I'm leaning more towards a two-tone than just a solid red but starting to think that adding a little pinstripe wouldn't hurt either. I'll post some pics of just the rack when it's done. Shoot, if it's ugly, I'll repaint it exactly opposite of what I did the first time and see if that's better! Any other ideas from anyone?

"Minimal creme accents"

However large the accents are, the carrier should match it. If the bike just has small thin stripes, then the carrier should get the same, or just a little less. I was going to do the same with mine, it's red w beige accents, but I never got around to the accents, just painted the carrier red.

bj8k5l.jpg

Wildcat said:
...However large the accents are, the carrier should match it. If the bike just has small thin stripes, then the carrier should get the same, or just a little less. ...

Thanks much for the advice! And the pic helps a lot too. Man, that bike of yours is a thing of beauty, I'll tell you! Does that twist shifter cable run through the tank?! Sweet!

Anyway, enough slobbering. Would your advice still hold true if the rear fender was painted instead of chrome? The fenders are red as well. Red with a cream pinstripe down both edges. With that said, in your opinion, knowing how chunky and rounded these racks are so lots of sides show, should the sides of the rack and the inner squares with the holes be red and the raised area be done in cream? Not wanting to put words in your mouth, Wildcat, but would you be saying "red where it's light blue, cream where it's dark blue"? Or even much less cream?

Well, I liked the bike rat style better, so the rack and fenders, and chain guard came off. I cruised for an hour and a half on the 4th of July. Yes, I drilled a hole in the tank for the cable, and in the rear, it goes out through the opening in the halves. No clips needed.

2h6c2zs.jpg

What kind of bike do you have? Sometimes the styling of the bike dictates what might look best. Can you post a pic? I'll bet you get a lot more suggestions if you post a pic of the whole bike. Tires and wheel colors might make a difference also.

if the fenders are red i would do that back rack like this

- lt blue paint that the cream
-dk blue paint that the red .

im doing a build right now where the bike is mostly one color , and for the rack i seperated the color so it goes orange fender..cream color on the bottom part of the rack then orange on top of the rack so when you are looking at its side profile its not all one color .. thats just my opinion

HotRodJen said:
. . . that's just my opinion

Thanks Jen, opinions are exactly what I've been seeking. I've seen your work on this site and know your opinion comes with an added artistic flair that the paint designers of the early 40s/50s probably couldn't express, and I appreciate you sharing your ideas. If nothing else your input has opened my eyes to think outside the box with my rack and add my own artistic touch to it. Now I gotta rethink what I had just convinced myself of earlier today!!! :mrgreen:

Except for the two reflectors that I'm waiting on, I finished my rear rack that I asked for opinions on. Just thought I'd share it. As a recap, started with this:
Rearrack001.jpg

Then painted it red:
MonarkButterflyer101.jpg

Then dusted it with an overspray of flat black and sienna brown to tone down the bright red and make it look more like the patina'd red of my bike and added the creme accent color:
Rearrack027.jpg

I added some LEDs so I hid the switch between the seat post bracket:
Rearrack022.jpg

And added a row of red LED tail lights:
Rearrack019.jpg

Rearrack016.jpg

Rearrack017.jpg

and added a small pod of red LEDs that shine down onto the rear fender and bottom bracket:
Rearrack018.jpg

You can see the under-lighting through the holes. It looked okay when I set it on the bike but I'm thinking of changing the red pod underneath to white lights so it lights up the frame better. It'll look a lot better when my new reflectors come in. . . and a whole lot better when it's on the bike! I'm having to make an extension bracket first.
Rearrack029.jpg

Thanks for looking.

CCR said:
NICE :D I'm wanting to do something similar on my hornet, now we just need pics of it on the bike :mrgreen:
Be careful what you ask for! :mrgreen:
Rearrack031.jpg

Actually, I hope to be able to bang around in the garage over my Christmas break and get my real project done. Finished pics to follow soon!

Back