PAINTING a patina'd look

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your best ways to paint and leave it a patina look.??? Or how do you get new fresh paint to take a slight duller patina look??

Thanks

Well, you can always paint it nice, but then get a 3 foot section of log chain and a spray bottle of salt water...... JK but there are tutorials on instructables for painting rust and simulated wear on things. Good luck

Charlie

I guess it depends on your definition of patina and how much of it you want.

Here's my attempts...

Red primer, color and then I sanded through the color. It may be hard to tell but in addition to the blue there's a little white and green.
DSCF7360.JPG

DSCF7371.JPG

This one I painted with a texture paint. I think it might be good to simulate rust. The handle bars on the above bike are painted with same texture paint.
IMG_9206.JPG

Hey Loco, that first bike is really convincing; nice work! I like the little touch of white and various levels of wear, especially on the top bar where it's always worn thin. Let a little oil tack up in spots and you've got brand new 50 years of repaints :D

Check out my ' Grady Rocket ' build thread for tips on painting a fake patina look.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28220

I am currently doing my build off bike ' The Fairbank Flyer ' which has a simular technique. Hope that helps you.

:)

I used to have a 1950 Dodge truck that was painted with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. I don't know how many times people came up to me and said things like, 'That truck would be really nice if it weren't covered in rust'. In reality there was only a dime-sized rust spot on the entire truck. I think it'd make a pretty good place to start for this kind of thing.

That Grady Rocket build is awesome BTW.

Jay

Alienbaby17 said:
I used to have a 1950 Dodge truck that was painted with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. I don't know how many times people came up to me and said things like, 'That truck would be really nice if it weren't covered in rust'. In reality there was only a dime-sized rust spot on the entire truck. I think it'd make a pretty good place to start for this kind of thing.

That Grady Rocket build is awesome BTW.

Jay

Thanks very much Jay!

Cool, I'll have to keep a look out for that Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and give it a try some time.

Latest posts

Back