Painting aluminum rims?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:?: Hey guys, has anybody spray-painted aluminun rims , if so how well do they stand-up?
I am wondering if I have to use a zinc-chromate primer, LMK Thanks.

I once spray painted an alluminum rim. I can't recall what I did with it or where it's at now though. I just used regular primer/paint. I think it held up just as well as anything else I've painted which is so/so. For me it's a little tricky lacing the rims without scratching them.

:) Thanks for the input aka, I was going to try a budget spray by doing the whole wheel and maybe just mask the axle off.
It's going to be a Rat BMX, I think you just did one.

Thanks!

Vroom said:
:?: Hey guys, has anybody spray-painted aluminun rims , if so how well do they stand-up?
I am wondering if I have to use a zinc-chromate primer, LMK Thanks.

I think if you prepare the surface correctly, you should be able to paint them...but there is the issue of scratches (as already mentioned).

Depending on how "good" you want the paint job, try an etching primer or purchase a seperate etching compound (like Martin Senour Twin-Etch...see below)

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/p ... /6879.html

Hope this helps!

get a good Non-Ferous Metal Primer from Lordco.
make sure you clean them well as Aluminum is very porous and it will have grease and contaminants that you do not see.

Cleaning them is the most important part.
Non-ferous metal primer..and then finish with product of choice.
Remember when using an no-ferous metal primer you don't want to put it on to heavy.A good even thin coat is best for maximum adhesion.

this is what I use on the Job site...and on my bikes..hope this helps,
Kev.
0151.jpg

:D Thanks Guys, I will give this a try and hopefully I'll get results.
(the good kind that is)

Back