Painting Lines

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
What kind of tape does everyone use? I went and bought some good tape for the paint store still not the cleanest lines. Any suggestions or techniques appreciated. Thanks :)

if your spraying it somtimes youll get a better line,using a brush you may end up with paint buildup on the edges,the secret is to pull tape at jus the right time,always pull the tapeSLOWLY back against its self,use mac stripping 0000 brush and use one shot stripping,after yrs of practice youll get it! there are some videos on doing it,hope this helps

I found if you pull the tape to soon the paint runs into the line. If you pull it to late you will pull paint with it. Practice on something you don't care about and when you get it down then tape and paint your project. Make sure the tape is sticking. If it isn't all stuck down the paint will run under the tape.

Thanks for the input, i've painted probably around 5 bikes now and I feel like they never come out the way I want. I think I may take your advice and just do some practice runs on something else before I start my next paint job.

yeah that's what I used this time. I just feel like it could be better. Maybe I just think my rattle can spray job on my side yard should be as good as a professionals. Haha maybe I'm expecting too much

It depends. If it has a lot of curves then I use the green 3m crepe tape(1/16,1/8,3/16,1/4"). If it's fairly straight, I use the vinyl tape.
If the lines don't come out clean it has to do with the application more than the tape(unless the substrate isn't sanded well and is peeling when you pull it).
Heres some of the green crepe from a flake/candy recent session(still working on it so don't judge to harshly just yet).
IMG_0568.jpg

Its still in the ugly stages now. I like the crepe for curves since it doesn't distort like the vinyl tape does. It also can be repositioned a few times if needed. For just straight lines the vinyl works great since it has a lower profile,thus a little crisper edge.

One trick is to mask with your tape, then spray a compatible clear coat first, and then your final color. The clear seals the tape and prevents any bleed. When you peel the tape you will get very sharp lines this way. I've used this trick numerous times and it works well.

Regards,
Cool idea! I suppose you would end up with more thickness build up though as a trade off?

Luke.

Cool idea! I suppose you would end up with more thickness build up though as a trade off?
Yeah that is the only down side, but it does make crisp lines for sure. Just try to keep your paint coats thin. If you are using rattle cans, warming the cans in hot tap water for a couple minutes lowers the viscosity of the paint and boosts the spray pressure giving you a finer spray mist. That can help the finish results too.

Do you just use a rattle can? Will that make a difference in my over all paint? Not just lines but smoothness.
I use an Iwata and PPG. For smoothness, prep is what its all about. If you have a substrate that has orange peel then you topcoat will be the same. Color sanding will take the texture out. Then go back and do a flow coat and you should be golden. If not, then just cut and buff.
That will be the same, be it rattle can or gun.

I use an Iwata and PPG. For smoothness, prep is what its all about. If you have a substrate that has orange peel then you topcoat will be the same. Color sanding will take the texture out. Then go back and do a flow coat and you should be golden. If not, then just cut and buff.
That will be the same, be it rattle can or gun.
That is great info,I need to work on the prep/patience. Makes perfect sense.

Latest posts

Back