Park chain tool help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey all,
I made a little extra scratch on eBay and want to treat myself to a chain breaking tool. I was looking at the Park websight and they have several for different speed applications,etc... I work on my Schwinn 3,5 and 10 speeds and coaster brake bikes ( old murray,roadmaster etc...)
Does anybody know what model number tool I need ? I don't want to get stuck with one that won't work for me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?
Spokes

I really like the CT5. It works on all the chains I have from single speed to 9 speed. You could spend more but I think the CT5 would suit your needs.

Glad to hear you are going with a park tool. I have bought two of those junk bell tools from wallyworld and it is a waste of money. Heck, they break on the second application. I need to pick up a good one myself. Guess I will look at park. Thanks.

hubgearfreak said:
i know nothing about park tools. but i would recommend wenger swiss army knife bike tool. it does chains of course and also has a good knife and a bottle opener, all in a pocket size lump :wink:
I've got one of those, it's great for a tool bag, but the Park is easier to use, better for a shop tool, IMO.

I've got a CT-5 and really like it. The CT-3 and CT-7 look to work exactly the same way but are more of a shop/work bench version. I'm sure they are a little easier to use/handle, but I don't have the money for both so the portable route is the way I went.

I can actually do a chain faster with a screwdriver and hammer than I can with a real chain breaker, Been doing it like that for 18+ years. Then to put it back together I line it up and use my vise grips to squish it back together and mushroom the pin so it doesn't fall out.
Oldskool style 8)

I've got the CT-3 and have used it on everything including 3/16" heavy BMX chains(takes some gyrating) and half-link chains(with some patience), besides the usual 1/8" single speed and derailleur chains. Very versatile. For a chainbreaker on the go, much better to get one of the multi-tools, the chain breaker on the Crank Brothers multi-tool is very good and has serviced many a chain on mtb rides.

Will this CT-5 chain break tool work on chains for 60's and 70's bike chains? Or is there another recommended models?
(This tool will seldom be used)

Yes it will work on most chains with the exception of Skiptooth(1" pitch) that was commonly used prior to WWII.

Latest posts

Back