parts for $40 obo?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,

so I had posted awhile back on my local CL to see if people had random bike parts I could use on my build... I kind of forgot about it but got an email today from a guy who has:
"Have rims with disc brakes also have both the brake caliber or w.e they are called on bikes. A chain. Handle bars, gooseneck, shock spring, front forks (w/shocks). Seat and seat bar or w.e. and some other misc parts that were on the bike"

the wheels are 26" he has the cables and everything for the brakes, they are all off a Mongoose and said he would like to get as close to $40 as possible for everything. He sent me another message just asking me to make an offer on it all because he is now just collecting money to buy another bike he has his eye on. I bet I could get it all for $20 and use the pieces on builds... or part them out... think $20 is worth it if I can get it for that? should I shoot lower? Let me know what you think! the pics aren't great, but it's what he sent me!

20141230_124823_zps12d413d5.jpg

Like others have said, if you can use the parts, go for it. I know that if you can use the tires/tubes on your bike, that is a $20 value right there. Personally, I have enough tires and tubes lying around to choke a horse. Why not post on here the things that you need. Lots of helpful members around! I've got some Kenda flame tread 26X 2.125 tires (new take offs) let me know if you need them.

I never ask anyones opinion if they think I should buy stuff. Is this really a big investment? The other day there was a guy who was asking if he should buy a complete bike for 30.00. was that a big investment? But maybe after, He would brag that he only paid thirty and sold the seat for that.

I never ask anyones opinion if they think I should buy stuff. Is this really a big investment? The other day there was a guy who was asking if he should buy a complete bike for 30.00. was that a big investment? But maybe after, He would brag that he only paid thirty and sold the seat for that.
I understand where you're coming from and agree that it is not a huge investment. That being said... I'm still very new to building bikes (still working on my first build) and I appreciate the knowledge and opinions of everyone on here since there is a lot more experience here than I could find other places whether its a question like I asked above or what the best way to weld two frames together! I am more than happy to ask people on here for their opinions about buying bikes/parts... Because, again, there is a lot of knowledge that I don't have yet that I can learn from the responses.

All due respect to HMK (the OP) and the CL guy who contacted him: Those parts aren't worth $40, $20, or even $5 unless there's something specific in the pile that you need. Yeah, it's disc wheels with disc brakes, but they're WalMart disc wheels and brakes. The other parts are of the sort that routinely gets trashpicked, or given away at the end of the yard sale. If you had a bike that needed something--ANYTHING-- to get rolling, and that pile'd get you rolling again, i'd say go for it if you gotta. Otherwise, take your time, figure out what you want, then go get that. Or, build something fun out of trashpicked/free/leftover bits in the meantime.

All due respect to HMK (the OP) and the CL guy who contacted him: Those parts aren't worth $40, $20, or even $5 unless there's something specific in the pile that you need. Yeah, it's disc wheels with disc brakes, but they're WalMart disc wheels and brakes. The other parts are of the sort that routinely gets trashpicked, or given away at the end of the yard sale. If you had a bike that needed something--ANYTHING-- to get rolling, and that pile'd get you rolling again, i'd say go for it if you gotta. Otherwise, take your time, figure out what you want, then go get that. Or, build something fun out of trashpicked/free/leftover bits in the meantime.
Agreed, and I did have a specific bike in mind and I had asked the guy only about 1 or 2 things from what he sent and he sajd he would just sell the whole lot together. After looking into the parts and talking to you guys, I'm going to wait for some higher quality stuff to use. Thanks again for all the info!

Sometimes I go out to swap meets. Find things like this. I would jump on it for twenty. Why? I find bikes that people are frustrated with because they have flat tires or ripped seats etc. I would buy damaged bikes for ten dollars. Put a tire and tube on it from these parts. Put a seat on another from these parts. now they are nice rideable bikes. I wipe them off and adjust them. Put a price tag of sixty dollars on each. Then sell both for fifty each.
It is an opportunity to double my money in two hours. Why? Because you put together two sellable bikes from cheap parts.
If a person is on a budget. they now have a hundred dollars to find the bike that you are really looking for or the parts that you are really looking for.
Risk taker, But many times it works out. I would jump on these parts for twenty, but if they had to be shipped to me that's a whole other story. I would be buried into them.
I hope this explains the possibilitites of parts piles like this. In my mind anyway.
Good Luck on your build.

I could be wrong, but i don't think they're Walmart parts...the rear wheel has a quick release hub and that fork has cast alloy lower legs and preload adjustment. Having said that I'sd say go for it if you can use the parts. The best stuff in the world is just clutter if you don't need it.

Back