Pedal size and other matters...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a 77 Stingray / BMX Hydrid for my son.
Bought a crank for a single gear bike, but where can I buy 3/8" BMX pedals that will fit?

Also, when I install the crank, I intend to use the bearings etc from the original bike - anything I need to be aware of when I 'repack' them? 1st time noob here.

Thanks!

Piney69 said:
Building a 77 Stingray / BMX Hydrid for my son.
Bought a crank for a single gear bike, but where can I buy 3/8" BMX pedals that will fit?

Also, when I install the crank, I intend to use the bearings etc from the original bike - anything I need to be aware of when I 'repack' them? 1st time noob here.

Thanks!

i guess my question is "where the heck did you find a one piece crank that requires 3/8 pedals?!"

It should be 1/2", One piece cranks are 1/2" and three pieces are 9/16". Primo Tenderizers are my favorite 1/2" platform BMX pedal and there cheap :wink: .

Hmmm...Well here is a pic of the crank I purchased for the Stingray frame. I was told it was also a Stingray crank.

crankb.jpg

StingRay chain ring but not a Schwinn crank. I've never seen a Schwinn crank with a raised ridge like yours has. Check the TPI. Schwinn will be 26 TPI, everything else is 24 TPI. Gary

Piney69 said:
Is this OK to use for a single speed?

My other crank is like this one, from a 5 speed. But the bike I am building is a single speed, so don't know which is best:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350233507793

The BMX pedals I purchased are 1/2" and do not fit either of the Stingray crank arms. Only the old Stingray (which I measured as 3/8") fit it.

not to be dismissive, but something doesn't add up. i have to think there's something whackadoodle with your measurements. i honestly don't think a 3/8 even exists- i suspect you have 1/2 cranks and 9/16 pedals. yes the crank could be schwinn. as deorman said that shape shows up on some models (i was thinking 'sidewinder' when i saw them). the schwinn bb thread is actually 28tpi as on old school cro-mo bmx cranks. a generic bike shop bb set will indeed be 24tpi. and yes, nearly any 1,3, or 5 speed crank will work on your single speed.:D

I re-measured the inside diameter of both Schwinn Stingray crank pedal holes and they are 7/16". But you're saying the standard is 9/16", so I must not be measuring it the right way. :?:

I guess I will have to use the old Schwinn pedals for now.

my local napa parts guru has a tool he can measure threads with. i dont know who makes it or where he got it, but maybe your local guy has one too and can check to see exactly what you need. maybe even try a hardware or fastener store.

Piney69 said:
I re-measured the inside diameter of both Schwinn Stingray crank pedal holes and they are 7/16". But you're saying the standard is 9/16", so I must not be measuring it the right way. :?:

I guess I will have to use the old Schwinn pedals for now.

1/2" is the nominal diameter of the threads, if you were to mesure the hole with a caliper it would seem smaller as you can not mesure the threads, so the pedals you need ARE 1/2" type for schwinn one piece cranks...

fig_1b.jpg

X-RAY said:
my local napa parts guru has a tool he can measure threads with. i dont know who makes it or where he got it, but maybe your local guy has one too and can check to see exactly what you need. maybe even try a hardware or fastener store.

but why (unprofitably) draw busy people into such a simple thing? there are 1/2 pedals and there are 9/16 pedals. one piece cranks use 1/2. just swing by the bike shop and grab a pair! (insert sam kinison audio clip here).... :mrgreen:

OK, so I know I purchased 1/2" when I shoulda bought 9/16"

I want to use a Schwinn crank, which is the 3 piece crank that appears to accept 9/16" pedals.

I guess I can use the rings and bearings from another 3 piece Stingray crank I have.

But I can't figure out how to unscrew the arms from the crank so I can install it. Any tricks to doing this? :roll:

Latest posts

Back