Pee Wee Hermans Schwinn DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no place to begin like the beginning...so here goes.

I've been building props for about 17 years now, and after teaching my son to ride a bike this summer I decided it was time to combine my love of prop building and bikes into the ultimate piece. Pee Wee Herman's X-1. The bike was built off a late 40's/early 50's Schwinn DX frame. Before I started this journey I couldn't tell you anything about them....now I know tons. It's scary really.

Recently my wife told me she felt like we didn't talk enough, or more precisely I didn't talk to her enough. I didn't share what I was thinking. My response was that she really didn't want to know my every thought and she insisted that she did so I told her I wanted to build the bike. After talking about it a lot....A LOT...she agreed I should take this project on. I was able to pick up a frame through another prop builder and sold a prop that my wife kept asking me what I was going to do with after 10 years in storage to have some money to start collecting parts.

So as of today I have the following:

frame
crank
sprocket
gooseneck
springer
seat post
seat clamp

and misc. parts that make it the Pee Wee bike.

I am still needing:

correct fenders -front with a duckbill, rear without
wheels
tires
Delta Super Ray light
tank
messinger seat
handlebars

and some other Pee Wee specific parts

And here I am with one of the real bikes....

Last week while visiting LA I had the opportunity to not only see one of the screen used bikes....but two. I was able to take a ton of pictures to help me along with my process. I feel like I have a pretty good idea about how to build this.

I am going to change a few things however.

The original bike was simply painted with spray paint and the parts have pretty much aged. I want to do as pristine of a bike as possible. I plan on powder coating the frame and rechroming everything that needs rechromed. It may be excessive but it's how I see the bike in my head.

Got another part in today....a Shimano 3 speed shifter. One more piece down!

Also met with the powder coating place this morning. I think I know what colors I'll be going with so I just have to find a couple more parts and then I'm good to go.

I can't wait to have pics to post! Gotta track down those pesky fenders and build a couple parts and then I can actually do something!

Picked up some more parts today

A buddy in Long Beach picked up a couple pieces at the swap out there and another friend hooked me up with the signal stats and the poster....which I love!

Still searching for fenders before I can start doing any real assembly. Once I get those I'll start doing a test build and then disassemble it for powder coat.

Gregg

Well I finally have something new to post.

I discovered a wonderful bike shop on the west side of Indianapolis called Bicycle Hospital, and they have been great to help me get things moving....and their prices are great too.

I had them cut down and install my springer and I bought some new rims and tires from them as well. I'm not sure if I will keep these tires on my bike because ultimately I'd like to have some Lightning Darts, but for now these look good and will function well when I ride it.

So now that I have wheels and the springer is installed, I decided to go ahead and do a rough fit of all of the parts I have. I'm getting fenders next week, so once I have those I guess I'll have to take more picture. In the meantime....

I am also building an X-1! Maybe we could help each other out. Looks great so far. Where did you get the tiger siren and what box is that for the mounted button box? Also. The aluminum collar, did you make that? Thanks

What is the tiger thing called. When I was 3 I had a thing called a Tigeroo on my tricycle that Mom sent away for from a box of Frosted Flakes, I dont remember what it looked like but I remember getting in big trouble for breaking it, I would love to find another. That doesnt happen to be one of those is it? Where did you get it?

I've wanted to build one as well for a long time. The main difficulty I see is in the rear cargo boxes. And if you build the boxes would you build them with closed bottoms to actually carry stuff or with open bottoms like the actual movie bike? Chainguard was apparently a real guard that the prop crew sourced from somewhere. Maybe a hawthorne or monark?

I am going to fab the chainguard. It is giant. I also have the task of making the saddlebags. Mine will be closed bottom and used for ice chests!

Funny to come across this build tonight...just saw the Pee Wee movie again the other night on TV and just love looking at that cool bike...cant wait to see yours

Anyone know where I can find a replica of the tiger siren? I don't need a working model with the electrics in it.

Thanks!

hey guys sorry to bring up an old post. Recently got my hands on this (thinking it was a DX) and thought the chain guard was really funky. Didnt put together it was an x-1 CG until a friend pointed it out. Were these made available ever? really trying to figure out where this bike came from. even has the right ducktail front fender.

hey guys sorry to bring up an old post. Recently got my hands on this (thinking it was a DX) and thought the chain guard was really funky. Didnt put together it was an x-1 CG until a friend pointed it out. Were these made available ever? really trying to figure out where this bike came from. even has the right ducktail front fender.
Any pics?

Latest posts

Back