PENGUIN Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have info on Penguin head badges bikes? I know MW has Mark II Eliminator Green/Gold version. I have an F Series Frame version that was originally purple.

I thought Mark's was the only one! Post a picture of yours if you can.

I tried to find some information online for them once and had no luck. I wonder which store or company they were made for?

Here are some cell phone pics. I got it from Arizona, it is Purple under the crank.

Attachments

• IMG_2088.JPG
    IMG_2088.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2090.JPG
    IMG_2090.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 339
My Google Fu was weak on searching. Mark was sure it was a Department Store, but I had nothing pop up. Google images shows a sliver-gold muscle bike with Penguin head badge that was posted on this site with no date.

The omes mentioned in huffy wiki were batch ordered for some guy listed not a huffy product. Possibly same company involved at a later date? I beleave it stated 62 as year a run under penguin was done. Who knows maybe a name to look after.

Peter Mole was the man behind the first 'Penguin' bikes.
He worked for the John T Bill company, but got shafted by Huffy for a second run, so maybe they got someone else to make these ones at a later date?

Luke.

Lukethejoker, in this case Kevin is asking about bikes with a Penguin headbadge, not the Huffy made early Penguin muscle bikes. I own the Mark II Eliminator that is posted all over the internet. For the longest time, it was thought that it may be the only surviving Penguin badged muscle bike that survived. Then the F series bike (also Murray) was unearthed. Also, I believe that "Penguin" in the Huffy line was the actual name of the bike, not what was on the headbage. It is my understanding those bikes wore the actual Huffy badge. IDK if a genuine example has ever been unearthed but there have been clones built of the Huffy Penguin. My bike was purchase by Eddie from the Murray site out the trunk of a car at the Ann Arbor meet several years ago. I bought it from him.

It is my belief that these bikes were sold in the Detroit area by a department store, hardware or even a gas station. If anybody out there has any other Penguin badged bikes, I'd be interested in knowing about them. Thanks!

Mark W

Last edited:
IDK if a genuine example has ever been unearthed but there have been clones built of the Huffy Penguin.
I have seen pics of a 'claimed' original Penguin, but who knows if it was or not...

Be interesting to know for sure the story on these later 'Penguin' bikes, as to who made them and for what company.

Luke.

I have seen pics of a 'claimed' original Penguin, but who knows if it was or not...

Be interesting to know for sure the story on these later 'Penguin' bikes, as to who made them and for what company.

Luke.
March_3rd_1963.jpg

To put the conversation to bed..penguins were never owned by huffy. They were the first integration of banana and high bars on a production bike. Produced by huffy for John T Bill & company... They were an entirely subcontracted bike as any other huffy produced for other manufacturers. I'll attempt to find info about John T Bill and co from Glendale... It's a very small town.

Last edited:
Sounds like huffy like the sales draw penguins pulled and didn't sell to IBD shops like John T Bill and co did. Apparently they were a very large distributer on the west cost, even up to the 80's carrying hutch rollfast etc.
I'd bet if they had control of the name it would have carried on.. but the end of relationship they had start a branding a few years after their unwitting inception of a market.

It be interesting to see if the other penguin badged bikes were produced for them as well

Last edited:
Did anyone ever find out anything about the Penguin head badge bikes?
I would love to know. Trying to identify this bike from 1970, Reno, NV. It was red with coaster brakes and was a convertible.

Latest posts

Back