Penny for your thoughts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a fresh find since I bought it new, but it's a Rideable Bicycle Replica Standard in 48"

60995e2ffc259682792256f9cd8be8ab.jpg

It rides fine. I did swap the seat out because that seat seriously needs to be broken in.

I've ridden it about 10 miles so far and have had more looks, waves and comments than anything else. I got more attention than the guy in the Bentley down town.

You never really notice how bumpy roads are until you ride on thin solid rubber tires.

Awesome work! Been eyeing off those bikes for a few years but just can't find the money for one... (Also scared I will fall off and seriously hurt myself!)

Luke.

The RBR ones are pretty affordable when comparing with others out there. For me it was easy since the company is about half an hour from where I work.

I have already had one close call on it. Some idiot old man talking on his phone blowing through a stop sign not bothering to notice a huge tire coming towards him. Thankfully the sharp turn I had to make didn't send me to the ground.

Big wheels mean big price tags. The spokes alone are almost $2.50 each times 60. The whole wheel can be purchased for $550

Always wanted one of those

After a few rides and about 15 miles I can give a little review of it.

It is an absolute blast now that I'm getting more comfortable on it. It's interesting seeing in to everyone's back yard as well. :)

Five words explain it all.

More attention than a Ferrari

You stop basically the same way as a modern fixed gear bike.

Put a slight backpedal on it as you pedal forward. That will slow you down. Just down hold back on pedaling too much or you will stop the wheel and go over.

It rides fine. I did swap the seat out because that seat seriously needs to be broken in.

I've ridden it about 10 miles so far and have had more looks, waves and comments than anything else. I got more attention than the guy in the Bentley down town.

You never really notice how bumpy roads are until you ride on thin solid rubber tires.
Uhhh yup! BONESHAKER!
Cool velocipede, and not a cheap reproduction, a good one!

I used to have one of these. About 35 years ago. They have been making the same model for decades. One good thing (vs an antique) is it has a bit of head tube angle. Most of the originals were vertical which made headers much more likely. The RR is much safer to ride. I did crash 3 times. Every time was due to some kid riding his/her own bike , staring at me, mouth gaping wide, and forgetting to steer, so they went directly in to my path. I always saw it coming and would slow as fast as I could but all 3 times I went down sideways. You learn to put a foot out and do a sommersault/tuck& roll. Far better than a header or landing on the kid.

A friend of mine was was out riding his alone one day, while approaching a 4-way stop, some guy in a Porsche did the kid-bit, forgot what he was doing while staring at the bike and drove up a curb and nailed a power pole. My friend just cruised away and turned out of site asap.

I had a recumbent at the same time. What a difference between those two.
Ride a recumbent and every one looks down on you, sneering, pointing at you, laughing at you.
Ride a high wheeler and every one looks up in awe.
Ride a regular bike and every one ignores you or swears at you. Well, we all know about that.

I sold my recumbent as it was just a tad bit too big for my leg length. I could feel my knees getting pulled apart.

Me winning a race in 1978 on mine. Only Steve Depron could stay close, the rest of the pack was left in our dust.

RICK78A.jpg

1980: Me in the light blue shirt on a loaner from Mike Wolfe of American Pickers fame. That loaner was a real antique and super wobbly to ride. No going fast on that.
Note the wheel on the very left, that's an American Star ridden by Mike W.
RickMolineCriteriumHiwheeler_zpsd60a6aef.jpg

Last edited:
Back