Peugeot ideas??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dc54382ec41ccfe13a9182973b508b2d.jpg

I got this for free last night. Could the cassette be removed and swapped for a single speed freewheel or a coaster brake rim installed? Love the twin bar frame. All the gears cables etc are crap.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
dc54382ec41ccfe13a9182973b508b2d.jpg

I got this for free last night. Could the cassette be removed and swapped for a single speed freewheel or a coaster brake rim installed? Love the twin bar frame

Hello,
Not a Peugeot, but still french and the same kind of frame. I've swapped the whole wheel. It was 650, now 24".
0e8810c17c32718f0697aea969a7fcb7.jpg

What about the wide dropouts? Putting a coaster rim on and chainline? This thing is cool IMO but may be more trouble than its worth. I have plenty of old 26 mtb wheels and a new single speed freewheel on hand. I know the front sprocket will need swapped for 1/8 chain. Wish it had a one piece crank.

Last edited:
You can run 1/8" chain on a 3/32" sprocket, no problem.

There's a chance that your rear hub is a Maillard Helicomatic, which long story short, means you can't run a normal freewheel on it. Even if the hub isn't a Helicomatic, there's a chance that it is French-threaded. It also might be regular 1.37x24tpi; you won't know til you check. If you can thread a standard brit-thread freewheel on there, you'll need to swap spacers and redish the wheel to get chainline right.... or buy one of those cool adaptors from ichibike. http://www.ichibike.com/product-page/f8a1f395-414a-4474-c976-90505eae2e65

Would a standard 26" Wally mtb rim fit and put my freewheel on that? Ditch the Peugoet rims. I just want to salvage the frame.

It will fit, but you might need to run a smaller tire than what came on the Wally Wheel and, at that point, your BB will be lower, so you might have issues with pedal-strike, especially as you turn. This is kinda one of those "won't know til you try it" type deals.

Would a standard 26" Wally mtb rim fit and put my freewheel on that? Ditch the Peugoet rims. I just want to salvage the frame.

I have gotten lots of bikes where the rear was changed for a coaster, just squeeze the dropouts. Lots of English bikes around you can't give away w correct ring to steal. Almost every Raleigh built will have and there are some funky ones..... May I introduce the " happiest" chain ring I own.... I think I bough bike for it... Not sure how I feel about that...
1479485265581-624177055.jpg

Is 5 dudes holding hands and sharing one head...
:giggle:
Going on a marry stroll...
Anyway, awsome bike, will be a cool cruiser for sure..
Don't fear peddle scrape, just watch foot position:happy:

How to fit a new wheel !

banane10.jpg

The front sprocket is original and yes, with 24" wheels, it's low. It happens that the pedals scrap when cornering at full speed but that's not the aim of my bike. Honestly, it can be a problem or not, it depends how you like to use your bike.

Agreed, I peddle scrape my stock Schwinn cruiser cause I ride it hard and know when it may happen, some of my bikes I can curb stand off the peddle in the raised position, I can ride it just fine and scrape as mutch or as little as I want... One plastic peddle makes for dramatic drifting skids if your willing possibly get tossed:crazy2:...

I have gotten lots of bikes where the rear was changed for a coaster, just squeeze the dropouts. Lots of English bikes around you can't give away w correct ring to steal. Almost every Raleigh built will have and there are some funky ones..... May I introduce the " happiest" chain ring I own.... I think I bough bike for it... Not sure how I feel about that...View attachment 38829
Is 5 dudes holding hands and sharing one head...
:giggle:
Going on a marry stroll...
Anyway, awsome bike, will be a cool cruiser for sure..
Don't fear peddle scrape, just watch foot position:happy:

That's a Humber sprocket.... my second-favourite of the more common cottered-crank sprockets. (My favourite is the Rudge "hand" sprocket.

Those a cool frames wanted one for the collection. You really scored on that deal [emoji1303][emoji1303]. Not positive on the free wheel swap but I would think so .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if you inserted a long bolt thru the dropouts or put in a vise and tighted down? Would that "squeeze the dropouts together to mount a coaster brake rim?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back