peugeot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this Peugeot cheap today. I aired up the tires and rode it. It rides like you would expect a Peugeot to.
001-34.jpg

003-26.jpg

005-12.jpg

Look at the first pic. Something looks funny , doesn't it? The front wheel is smaller than the rear. It's factory. My question is ...WHY ? Anybody ever seen one? Are there other bikes similar? :?: :?: :?:

I was just about to ask if the 2 sizes where original. I have seen race bikes like this, but I can't remember what form of race bike, road or track type. Looks like a nice bike.

Perhaps you have an early time trial bike and the front wheel is smaller to provide the rider a lower, more aerodynamic position.

wheelbender6 said:
Perhaps you have an early time trial bike and the front wheel is smaller to provide the rider a lower, more aerodynamic position.

Also with the larger rear you gain a few inches per revolution so it may have had a speed advantage as well.

The smaller front wheel makes it look like a TT bike but the overall setup is more roadbike, the long wheel base, the road drops plus it has reflectors, a pie plate and the rear fender braze ons. Maybe a TT super comuter? :D

The smaller front wheel on TT bikes was more a 70/80's fad than anything else. If you look att TT bikes nowadays they're mostly 700c whips...

I have also seen smaller front wheels on women specific road bikes made by botique bike builder, "Terry". However, I think Peugot used the smaller front wheel on your roadie for quicker steering in city commutes (thats one reason why motor scooters have smaller diameter wheels than motorcycles).

Back