PHOTO CONTEST DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just like to mention how important the background is in photos. As an example, I used heartlandcruisers entry to show the difference it can make if certain things are eliminated from the background.

Although it's an ok photo, to me there is too much clutter with the letterbox and the vehicle in the top right. So I cropped it and photoshopped out the letterbox to show how much better it looks with a tidier background. I also added a wee bit of blur around the bike to lessen the impact of the background further and darkened the edges a bit (vignette).

Original…
003_zpsqivxet51.jpg

Photoshopped…
heartlandcruisers_Shopped.jpg

If you don't have photoshop, then when you take the photo, scan your eye around the frame looking for those distracting things and reframe your shot accordingly if anything unwanted is present.

Hope heartlandcruisers doesn't mind me doing this with his shot… just trying to be helpful. :)

Glen.

i don't see any so ill ask , are we allowed to have multiple bikes in the pic ?
also , at what resolution is it considered HD ?

Having multiple bikes in one photo is not a problem.

High resolution for these photos would be having a dimension somewhere in the 1600 pixel wide range or larger and a file size of 3-5mb or more.

Also, people need to leave a little dead space around their photos for cropping. I've had trouble in the past where people crop so close to the bike itself that it didn't leave me any room to get the whole bike on the calendar page.

1600 pixel wide range or larger and a file size of 3-5mb or more.
ok so none of my photos are HD then ? even with higher setting:doh: i mean my cameras says 230,000pixels photos but my pc says they are only 1,43mb:39:

would you or somebody mind looking at my pics and tell me if it should be alright (resolution/size)wise?
sorry, iam a techno noob:oops:

Last edited:
ok so none of my photos are HD then ? even with higher setting:doh: i mean my cameras says 230,000pixels photos but my pc says they are only 1,43mb:39:

would you or somebody mind looking at my pics and tell me if it should be alright (resolution/size)wise?
sorry, iam a techno noob:oops:

Email me the highest res version you have to [email protected] and I'll check it.

Since there will be so many photos submitted, maybe the king rat could add a few more tips for us on what he is specifically NOT looking for? Being able to crop the photo, requiring hi-def, and no background distractions makes sense, but are there any other suggestions you may have Steve? This would be very helpful......what a great opportunity for everyone....

I don't want to influence folks too much. I will say that you just need to think about the finished product. Ask yourself if you'd want a calendar hanging on the wall displaying whatever photo you're thinking of submitting. Would it be appealing to a broad audience?

I think the key is a combo of a few things...

- Cool bike that fits the style we have going on here at RRB
- Clear photo without a lot of distractions
- An interesting backdrop....i.e...not your garage door or my famous red stained fence. :giggle:
- Good lighting....morning or early evening is always best

I'm always amazed with what people come up with so leaving the creative side up to the photographer is probably best. :wink1:

Will you automatically take the first pic on our thread as the one entered in the competition? I have a couple of others in the thread, but intend to use the first picture as my entry.

Ok, I tried and tried and tried but I just can't upload this file. The hi rez file was some 9.some thing and the site limits me to quite a bit less. I'm going to ask for some help today and see what happens...wish me luck
Bart

Ok, I tried and tried and tried but I just can't upload this file. The hi rez file was some 9.some thing and the site limits me to quite a bit less. I'm going to ask for some help today and see what happens...wish me luck
Bart
Free photo edit software "photofiltre" can make pic files larger or smaller - or you could crop it some.

Thanks my friend....gonna seek the help of a young person 1st as they may have some tricks up their sleeve. I'm going to bring your advise to him and see how it goes..
Thx,
Bart

Bart
You can submit your photo at a lower resolution to the post, you just need to have a high res photo to send directly to Steve for printing if yours is selected for the calendar.

Thanks TRM, calling in the big guns at 3 PM (EST)....a young person to help me out. I'm better at turning wrenches but like to open my shop to young people who rather work in my shop then their driveway...especially in the winter as my shop is heated. Of course they like to rub it in ☺
Bart

Latest posts

Back