Picked my first Schwinn from the trash, and here I am!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Jeff, from southern Louisiana. Cajun country! Crazy guy, I grew up riding Schwinn Stingrays and the like. I built bikes out of junk for years growing up, but put it aside when I had a family and didn't have time. I'm also into Hot Rods, Rat rods, custom computers, etc. etc. so basically I'm no stranger to building and modding stuff.

So this past Saturday, I'm heading to a friend's house, and I see two bikes sitting in the trash. I've been known to pick up a junk bike or two if I can use parts off of it.

And then I see one of them is an OCC Schwinn Stingray! Now, I'm not a huge fan of pre-built stuff, but I'm not going to turn this down! Here it is in all it's rusted, frozen-freewheel glory:
Stingray.jpg

Yes, it's rough, but not unsalvageable. The tires hold air, the bottom bracket feels fairly smooth, the wheels are intact (but spokes are rusty, like everything else) and the seat won't go all the way down. The left crank arm is bent, and everything is rusted. I've actually cruised it around the yard (much to the delight of my 11-year-old daughter). But it needs the Rat Rod treatment! Obviously the frame will need to be stripped and repainted. I've got access to blasting booths at work, so that's not an issue. I've got enough parts to make it usable, but my challenge will be to decide what to do with it, and do it as cheaply as possible. I can fab most of what I need to customize it.

I love a black frame with red wheels and whitewalls... but I haven't found a whitewall 20x4" tire. I'd love to convert it to a Sturmey 8-speed hub too, but they're not wide enough... it would need a 3" tire for clearance. As an alternative, I know they made these with 3-speeds (and 180mm hubs) so if I can find a hub/wheel from one, I might have to purchase it.

Apehangers are a must on this. Flat or glossy black paint with Von Dutch stripes, maybe a hairpin seat... but I just don't know what will go with black tires on silver rims. If I go with red rims, the bike will need some white on it to set it off. Plain black and red is too dark for me.

Sheesh, enough rambling. Love the bikes, love the forum, can't wait to get dirty!

Rat it, Rod it, Ride it!

(Here's a shot of my "daily" bike)
schwinn.jpg

Hello Jeff and welcome from California!
Your OCC is exactly like the one I pulled out of the dumpster behind our shop. The one I got has a little less rust and there was no rear tire or tube. I let my daughter help me fix it up and she loves it! It now has apehangers so I can actually ride it. As I understand it, the chrome OCC choppers with the foot pegs on the forks were the very first ones sold. Do a search here and you will find a couple that have been ratted-out . . . they look cool! Please keep us posted as you build yours!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm currently elbows-deep into tearing down the 20" BMX bike I found with it (with disk brakes and motorcycle fairings, my 7 year old son will love it!). Funny thing is, these were in the trash directly across the street from me.... it will be interesting to see my neighbor's reaction when I pull out his kid's old bikes and cruise them down the street!

You guys are awesome, don't change a thing! Once I get the BMX put back together, I'll start a worklog for the OCC. Until then, I'm just scrounging ideas...

Welcome aboard.

With ape hangers, I wonder how a banana seat with high sissy bar would look. If you keep that rear wheel, I don't think there are any whitewalls available. I'm using white acrylic paint on a set of blackwall tires to see how it works out. I'll post with my results.

Wildcat said:
Welcome aboard.

With ape hangers, I wonder how a banana seat with high sissy bar would look. If you keep that rear wheel, I don't think there are any whitewalls available. I'm using white acrylic paint on a set of blackwall tires to see how it works out. I'll post with my results.

Thanks. If the seat isn't destroyed, I might be able to recover it, but I have to figure out why it won't go down first (the seatpost's chrome is flaking off in huge layers). I'd like to see how the acrylic paint works, I've also seen some white Dupli-Color "Hot Tires" paint that the tuner guys are into...
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/hottires.html
Might be good for "quick-n-dirty" whitewalls, though you might need a few tubes of it. Or red stripe tires, or anything else you can think of.

Welcome FunkyStickman, er Jeff, lookin' forward to seein' what you come up with on the OCC.

Latest posts

Back