Picked this up today. Let's play I.D. this Elgin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Picked this up from a fellow rrb'er this morning. Sweet looking patina allover, and I like it, but what is it? Does any one have a picture of a o.g. one?

it's Murray built if that helps any. early 40's... that's about all I can offer.
Thanks Walker, it all helps. I like to know what I'm riding.

Nice find, Tucker! That would indeed be a Murray built Elgin. This specimen would be of the 1938 vintage. '39 saw the tank extend beyond the seat tube, '40 saw the addition of a large curve in the seat tube. You don't see many of these first year short gothic tanks.

Here's the most complete I could find on short notice. The only thing missing on this reference photo is the "skinny" guard. Below that is the best picture I have of my '39.

1938%20elgin%20tanker1.jpg

drh6Zwi.jpg

That's awesome :) thanks Jason

Nice Elgin. for future reference...if you find a prewar cruiser frame...and it has a strait down-tube...it's most likely going to be 30's..the typical curved down-tube geometry took flight on most of the popular frames in '40-'41-and then into the post war era.

Small update: piecing together parts for this thing one by one. May not be an all original bike, but one that I like to ride. Just a mock up with some new parts.

Latest posts

Back