Picked up 61 unibody lastnight

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was browsing around craigslist and found a 61 ford unibody short bed for $500. went and picked it up last night and am so stoked. Its got some rust but rust doesn't bother me one bit. it needs a radiator, and a ignition switch and i will be on the road. Ill post some pics up later when the old lady gets home with the camera.

One of my buddies had a 63 longbed Custom cab unibody, I think it had a 292 y block w/ 3 on the tree. Drove that thing everywhere!!! I wish I coulda bought it when he sold it. :|

Im not into Fords or trucks,But I DO like those unique Uni-Body Fords,Sweptline Dodges and Cameo Chevys.Even Hudson and Studebaker pickups.

So here is what i got for $500, its got a 289ci engine with a C4 tranny and a B&M floor shift. It runs great, and shifts firm plus all the lights work. I'm pretty stoked. just got to deal with this registration stuff now and hopefully it will be on the road legally next weekend :D

DSC02986.jpg

DSC02987.jpg

DSC02988.jpg

DSC02989.jpg

and here is a horribly bad ms paint version of what it kinda gonna look like.

photochop.jpg

Now I still just need to find a radiator, and go down to the DMV and see what all i need for the registration. It was sold bill of sale only :? , no title. the truck is out of the DMV system as it hasn't been registered since 98.

What a great find!! i dont think you could touch one of those for $500 here.that front quarter has very cool lines!! "you lucky duck"!!

You stole that truck! You should be arrested! :mrgreen:

The unibody trucks are very hard to find and are not that common. Ford only made them for a year or two. They realized a (unibody) design flaw after some of the bodies started cracking from stress. Truck frames are rigid and don't float. Finding a good body that hasn't cracked (or been repaired) is hard to do.

I subscribe to Vintage Truck magazine and I believe there was an article about the unibody Ford trucks sometime this past year.

It's an excellent find at an amazing price. If it was me, I'd flip it after making it road worthy.

Just got back from the DMV and got some good news and bad news. Ive been really stressing about not having a title what so ever with the truck only a bill of sale. I also found out its a 62 not a 61 :roll:

:D Good news is the bill of sale worked fine and title came back lien free and I will be able to put it in my name as soon as I pay the back fees.

:x Bad news is there are $640 in back tags that I was not expecting and I'm broke and really need to get this in my name ASAP.

bikesntrikes said:
I subscribe to Vintage Truck magazine and I believe there was an article about the unibody Ford trucks sometime this past year.

ya wouldn't happen to remember what issue that was would ya??

kingofpainftw said:
Just got back from the DMV and got some good news and bad news. Ive been really stressing about not having a title what so ever with the truck only a bill of sale. I also found out its a 62 not a 61 :roll:

:D Good news is the bill of sale worked fine and title came back lien free and I will be able to put it in my name as soon as I pay the back fees.

:x Bad news is there are $640 in back tags that I was not expecting and I'm broke and really need to get this in my name ASAP.

bikesntrikes said:

ya wouldn't happen to remember what issue that was would ya??

Still, roughly for $1k you have yourself a decent truck that you could still double the profit.

Give me a week or two to find the issue. I just moved and packed away all of the magazines. Will let you know when I find it.

bikesntrikes said:
Still, roughly for $1k you have yourself a decent truck that you could still double the profit.

True, I'm just kind of cheap/flat broke and was hoping that i could have it on the road with reg for $1200 but still a great deal.

Back