Picked up a few today

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother bought a couple of Schwinn cruisers from a guy here in Houston a couple of weeks ago. Those bikes were at the guy's parent's house which was near my brother's house and during the sale he told my brother that he had some more bikes he would like to sell that were located at his house - which was on my side of town - only about 15 minutes from me.

So I ran by there today and checked out what he had and I ended up with 5 in my trailer for the ride home.

He had this ladies Columbia comfort bike that has a 3 speed Shimano 333 rear end on it. I didn't care about the bike but did want the rear end.

IMG_1721.jpg

He also has this Murray ladies single speed cruiser. Not too bad of shape so I thought maybe I could fix this one up and sell it.

IMG_1722.jpg

I bought this Univega mountain bike - thinking it wouldn't take much to fix up and sell and maybe recoup most of my money (it was missing pedals and had a messed up brake cable). I didn't even notice until I got it home that the rear wheel didn't have a cassette on it. So now I have to figure out how many speeds it should be and see if I can find a rear wheel that will work. It looks to be a decent bike with some nice stuff on it, so once I get it going it should sell easily.

IMG_1723.jpg

Then I picked up this old 24" boys Schwinn cruiser. Don't have a clue about it - how old, etc. Not too bad of shape other than the usual repaint and a dented up fender.

IMG_1725.jpg

And finally, the one I thought looked good but have lots of questions about is this Murray 24" straight bar boys bike with a tank, a light on the front fender, and a front end with truss rods.

It's had the usual brush job on the paint in some places - mainly the white, which I'm sure always rusted first. One strange thing is that the rear fender on it almost looks like it's a 26" fender or something - even though the paint, pin stipping, etc., all match the bike. The other strange thing is the chainguard - which has a big H on it - like maybe it was on a Huffy at one time or something.

So if anyone knows about these bikes or knows what is original on this one and what has been changed, let me know. Thanks.

IMG_1726.jpg

The serial number on the Schwinn - which is a "Schwinn Flyer" according to the chainguard - is M 127476.

The serial number on the Murray is 75375.

Maybe someone will know their age base on those serial numbers.

I guess what looks like an H on the Murray chainguard might actually be an M. I did find some information on the Meteor Line and they were definately Murrays.

Sandalscout - I think maybe you are right. If you look at the front fender it really comes down low in the back, but not the back one. So I have a feeling someone put some 26" fender braces on it and that pushed the whole thing up from where it would normally sit. So I think if I got some 24" braces and put back on it that would bring the fender down and it would then fit okay around the back wheel and end about where the front one ends.

Steve, do you think some of that Mother's polish would bring back the paint on the Schwinn Flyer?? :lol: :lol:

It looks like it has tabs on the frame where it had a tank on it at one time too.

woopsss. sorry, I misread your original post... I'm getting all my brands mixed up tonight... good luck with the fender stays, hopefully that'll take care of it.

RatRodDad said:
So now I have to figure out how many speeds it should be and see if I can find a rear wheel that will work. It looks to be a decent bike with some nice stuff on it, so once I get it going it should sell easily.
Look at the right shifter and see if it's got 6, 7 or maybe even 8 or 9 gears, that will tell you. Then, you can just get the correct cassete, should be easy to install.

However, that seems to be a low end mountain bike with basic crappy components. Sorry. Your other bikes make up for this one. :wink:

Hugo

Hugo, I did take a look at the shifters after my post and it was a 21 speed in it's original life.

It's nothing special, but it does have the Shimano rapid fire shifters on it and also linear pull brakes - which I think work the best of any type of hand brake - so it should make a decent bike if I can get it back together. :D

When I have time to play with it I will see what was done to the crank. It may be okay - and just apart - or it may have had a problem of some type which is why someone pulled it apart.

Only problem is I'm getting a garage full of old bikes and parts and not much time to do anything with them!! :lol: :lol:

I think I would put a single speed free wheel BMX hub on the back and lose the gear stuff altogether.

The free wheel is about $10 and you can have the LBS re dish the wheel if it needs it.

Back