Picked up this schwinn, Is it a heavy or middle weight?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not Shure how to tell if this is a heavy weight or a middle weight. Can it be a phantom or ?? The serial #p11668 shows 1954/1956
I'm curious if this would have had S-2 balloon or S-7 wheels, 2 or 3 speed. Still trying to get the stem unstuck so I can put the correct fork on it:arghh:

The serial could put it at a '54, and the fact that it came with rim brakes leads me to guess it's a Jaguar, which if i'm correct, that'd make it a balloon-tire bike with a 3 speed, according to the '54 catalog.

Now, that serial is funny, b/c it could also be a 56, in which case it could be a Corvette or a Tiger, which would be middleweights with 3 speeds.

Surest way to tell if it's a middleweight or a balloon bike is to try and cram 4 fingers between the seat stays under the bridge. If they fit easy, it's a balloon, but if they don't, it's a middleweight. And once you figure that out, it'll pretty much let you know what year the bike was produced, too.

HTH
Rob

ps- tthe last pic looks pretty middleweight to me...

Last edited:
Back