Pinstriping by Rubin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulu

Stinky Old Fish
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought this 1947 Plymouth P-15 in 1985, it had been restovated by Simon Florez, and then striped by Rubin, a top notch painter.

This was the P-15 before sanding. The pinstriping is all gone now, except the skirt roses and glove box. I took photos before I sanded the car, and I really liked almost all the striping on this car.
I thought this would be a good place to show off the work of a master. I was sorry to remove it, but the base paint had rotted.

I hope you all enjoy these. This car won trophies, but I didn't build it. I just drove it a lot and then put it away. Now she's in bits, waiting...
EDP.jpg

When the base paint failed, cracking under the candy lacquer, I decided to repaint the whole car, and chop it from a coupe to a roadster in the process.
Eventually I bought a roadster, and . . . . ehhhh . . . . Edith d' Plymouth may stay a coupe.

YET: Edith d' Plymouth imagined as a Rat Rod Roadster:
blu3.jpg

I was driving an Edsel lowrider back then when I met my wife Judy.
I drove us up Highway-1 & thru San Francisco, and people at stop lights were trying to buy it from me.
Eventually I sold it in 1991.
eddie2.jpg
I also had a '57 F100 Ford, and a '59, and other cars and bikes.
After 3 decades, all is gone now except the P-15 Plymouth.
EDP2.jpg

Which came to this over 30 years sitting.
DSCF7360.JPG

So, on to the Pinstriping.
DSCF7186.JPG

DSCF7188.JPG

DSCF7184.JPG

DSCF7182.JPG

DSCF7189.JPG

You have my attention.
I have a 55 dodge custom royal 4 door that needs lots of time and more money than it will ever be worth. Meanwhile, I got bills to pay. No car money.

This will be a challenge I may not be up to.
Maybe I can find a better lid.

As it was...
DSCF7245.JPG

Dent area needing 1/2" thick bondo removal... red arrow indicates rust holes needing welding.
DSCF7386.JPG

Big dent with lots of puller holes. This would be the most technical bodywork I've ever attempted.
DSCF7408.JPG

Mind you I have not worked on this car in a year. I laid off to do the experimental electric boat project, then I bought the Fake Jaguar.
I laid off welding that to fix the motorcycle, which was interrupted for lots of fishing and bicycles.

This is how all my professional projects went as well. Almost never did I just work on one thing until it was complete. I was interleaving multiple jobs, and it is still so after retirement.

Back