Pinstriping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to try my hand at pinstriping. Anyone tell me where is the best site for brushes and or enamel. I know One shot is the paint of choice but are there others(I am a house painter by trade and have a garage full of different paint.) What size brush should I start with, I also would like to know what I should cut the paint with. Thanks

In this same vein, if I may add another question to this thread, what's the best way to add a two-tone effect to a bike after you've gotten a fresh powder coat done to the frame?

Say I have a frame powder-coated in a dark color, and then I want to add white fender tips, and some other white shapes to other areas (chainguard etc). In my head I was picturing making some vinyl cling stencils, and using a rattlecan (and tons of masking material) to do this.

I'd like to hear other methods....or if this method works well, what brand/type of spray paint is best. Automotive, DuPont?

Re: Pinstriping more ?

Ok I got a brush, What is the best way to start? Work on straight lines, throw in some curves? Just master that and then try a design? How do I load the brush, 1/2 way up? Less, more? When I cut the paint is it more of a feel thing than measurements? Sorry for all questions but I am more of a hands on guy and like for someone to show me and for me to do it then. Thanks

thanks for that link!! Im currently selling stuff to buy some pin striping paint/brushes and give it a try...
:mrgreen:

I spent a few years reading books and watching online videos and DVDs, then about two Xmas's ago I was in Aneheim CA at Coast airbrush and the wife said go pick out your presents. since then I've been practicing on everything I own. the Mack #00 seems to be the one I use the most.
about a month ago a local Pedicab company had me stripe all thier trailers, nerveracking exeriance, but they loved it.

just took a quick pic. these are the two books that helped me the most. the dvd is from hotrodsurf.com and is a good one for showing some exercises and just being able to watch someone stripe. plus a gratuitous showing of some of my playing around.
pinstrip.jpg

i learned by just striping anything i could find in the garage. if it has a large flat area have at it. also if you are wanting to stripe a bike maybe find some tubing to practice on striping a frame is a totally different deal and because of the tight spaces and constantly changing radius makes it much harder to do. dont mess with other paints other than one shot it will just be a waste of time and money. first thing to learn if you want to do dutch style lines is learn to be somewhat symmetrical. then worry about controlling lines and ends. that is the hard part that is learned with time. also take time learning how to load your brush with paint that is the big secret and it really is hard to explain other than practice and find out what works for you.

Latest posts

Back