pinstriping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: pin stripping

Chopper@8Ball said:
hey guys

what brushes do you take for stripes??

mack or da vinci??

000, 0 ,1 ???

thanks

Mack...

All of the above... brush size depends on what you're doing and how heavy you want the lines. Also I have a few doubles with one brush from each double cut down. It really makes it a whole different brush.

sounds like they should be back up in a few days(personally ive never posted there because i cant for the life of me figure out how to get my pictures to post :? :? :? )....fingers crossed though

Re: pin striping

i thought sketchkult woulda blew up with everyone just tossin their flicks over there instead. not happenin....sooooo bummed. wonder how many stripers we have on here?

well theres.......
chaddilac,chastin,dollfacestriper,hotrodjen,karfer67,,wolfstriping(if i recall right),agata1930,and myself......im sure theres more that i cant recall though.....

get yourself some 00 mack brushes some basic colors, some one shot high temp reducer, and mineral spirits and go for it. yea i stripe, i still think i suck at it but all i can say is practice. sensor is way better at it than me :mrgreen:

i have a handful of brushes.quills, flats and swords. ive been stripin for about 6 months practicing when i can. sucks that the lounge went belly up. my first stop when i get home is rrbs then the lounge. maybe theres enough stripers on here to get a active topic? heres the only pics i have of stuff i did a while ago.

this one seems to have to many vertical lines. i thought it was comin out ok and and the addiction kicked in full gear and i just couldnt pull the brush away. :shock:
stripes001.jpg

this one i did my first week at the shop. either my first of second time with a brush. and with a sword! :lol: :lol: whatta rookie hahaa
fatty002-1.jpg

Nice work on that tiki suicide ride! :D

I pinstriped for a while, havent touched it for a couple of years because I was messing around with too many things (tiki carving, old cars, photography, cruiser bikes, mountain bikes, kayaking, girlfreind, 2 jobs etc etc), so I made the call to cull some stuff :lol: :lol:

Ive never put my stuff up on the lounge, but I used to love the old sketchkult forum. When Keith closed the old one down and set up the new 'forum' I gave up on it, its just too much of a pain to navigate around and use. Pitty, it used to be an awesome site. The tech articles on the old site are still a great resource though!

Heres some of my pinstriping pieces
EyeforanEye.jpg

DSCF1670.jpg
DSCF1671.jpg
DSCF1672.jpg

DSCF1674.jpg

i wish i could do flames better. i just cant get my wrist around

thanks hewey! the lines look good from the pic but in person its pretty scratchy but that was my first week so i was pretty happy. your bottle look sharp! do u guys order paint and reducers online or from a local spot? the only shop in town can only get high temp and low temp 1-shot. im lookin for regular 6000 reducer. i looked at .... blick and went all the way up to the final check out on some reducer and a couple 1/2 pints to see what shipping would be and it seemed like there was no shipping charge. this cant be so....am i dreaming???

weve got a local guy whos been striping for about 40 years and he told me not to bother wasting money on reducer.......just get paint thinner(for enamels) and use that but personally i dont really reduce mine at all unless i need to do really long line......

i tried using regular thinner but it is so hot the flash time is really fast especially in hot weather. i find that reducer has to be used when the paint you have on the pallet starts to dry up. you can keep it going longer with a little reducer but becareful there comes a point where u just need a new blotch of paint

I used to get my one shot from a sign writing supplies shop, and just used regular thinners from the local hardware store. But I was never striping in really hot or cold conditions (those days I satyed inside on the couch :lol: )

Back