Pittsburgh,Pa. Fall Ride,Sunday Oct. 14th.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
At our Beaver,Pa. meet we talked about a fall ride up north in Venango county near Franklin,Pa. , we decided on the middle of October to take advantage of the color change of the leaves. I picked Sunday October 14th.,I picked a Sunday because some of our members work on saturdays and there will be no hunters in the woods on a sunday. The trail that I've picked out is the Sandy Creek Trail,we will be meeting at the Belmar Village trailhead 3 miles south of Franklin,Pa. on route 8, the eastern leg of the trail is 8 miles long and if we wanted to also do the western leg it is 4 miles long. the trail is all paved asphalt and is easily handled by single speed bikes,the trail features 7 bridges (one of whitch is 1400 ft. long) and a tunnel. There are numerous places to eat in and around the Franklin area and I'm sure there are adult beverage places also.I was thinking we should meet around 10 - 11 am? , complete info and directions can be found on the Allegheny Valley Trails Association website http://www.avta-trails.org/sandy-creek-trail.html

I can do that . In the meantime , now that the BO is over , and my Knee gains flexibility , I'd like to continue invading the car cruises / weather permitting , I'm going to return to the site of my final pre-op ride , the Monday car cruise at the Rock Bottom lounge in Homestead . There's a bike Trail & more . If anyone would like to join me , I start at the smokestacks . There is a slight possibility that I may have to work in Hagerstown ,but I'll keep ya posted :wink:

Hope you can make this one also Kxazbug , Dogdart anyone within 100 miles of Pittsburgh will be votin for the Cherry Bomb !

At least you got it built before the deadline,you can bring it to the Oct. ride if you want

LOL, my wife Michelle said we should plan on 10, that way we will actually maybe be ready to ride by 11 or 11:30!LOL
Im in.....barring no job changes. Im lookin todo a move....

Any rat bikers from northeast Ohio,southwest New York,northwest Pennsylvania or anywhere else we would love to have ya come ride with us !

I used to live in that area and I've been on that trail many times. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make this ride.

FYI, there are some descent places to eat in Franklin, like Leonardo's for subs & such and The Bricks for the best burgers in town. There's a good little bike shop where 322 & the trail cross the river. It's in an old train depot.

Here's a shot along side the river:

Photo037.jpg

Thanks for the info on the places to eat and the bike shop,too bad you can't make it out,feel free to come to any of our rides if you happen to be in the Pgh. area at any time. I'm also thinking about possibly riding the Pike2Bike trail near Breezwood,Pa. sometime next spring if enough people are interested,it's an 8.5 mile section of the old Pennsylvania Turnpike that was closed in 1968,it has 2 tunnels on it,Ray's hill & Sideling hill,the shortest and the longest tunnels on the Turnpike,it was featured in the movie "The Road",maybe you could make it to that one

Herman said:
Thanks for the info on the places to eat and the bike shop,too bad you can't make it out,feel free to come to any of our rides if you happen to be in the Pgh. area at any time. I'm also thinking about possibly riding the Pike2Bike trail near Breezwood,Pa. sometime next spring if enough people are interested,it's an 8.5 mile section of the old Pennsylvania Turnpike that was closed in 1968,it has 2 tunnels on it,Ray's hill & Sideling hill,the shortest and the longest tunnels on the Turnpike,it was featured in the movie "The Road",maybe you could make it to that one

THAT would be a BLAST! I'm up for it.

Latest posts

Back