please help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a cassette on the rear wheel of this road bike, if i dont remove the cassette but remove all the shifters and stuff and i put the chain on just 1 of the rear sprockets what will happen when i get going? i guess my question is this if i dont remove the cassette can this bike still work as a single speed without any modification to the rear hub?

The front derailleur mostly just pushes the chain from one sprocket to the other, and the chain pretty much stays put, thanks to the large diameter, but the rear one also aligns the chain with the sprocket. You can get a chain tensioner to do that, or some guys just adjust the derailleur to stay in the desired gear. You may get lucky and be aligned in an exceptable gear, and not need it. I have seen bikes on here done that way.

thanx deorman. i guess i just have to try it and see what happens,if anything i guess ill go to my LBS and get the cassette taken out and swapped for a single sprocket.thnx again for your help.

Back