polishing alloy crankset

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old crank that I want to cleanup andI have seen some that look like they have been chromed. What is the best way to achieve that shine.

Do you have a wire wheel...? Depending on how badly it's rusted, you'll only get it "so" shiny...But with a wire wheel first, then a buffing wheel and/or metal polish and lots of rubbin'...It might clean up nice.

No rust on alloy, just some oxidation, I would be afraid the wire wheel would scratch it badly, but wondered about wet sanding first, was wondering if rubbing compound or a polishing paste would work. I know thay have differents sorts of polishing rouges. Just hoping for some advice, thanks

Not sure what you mean, it is a 3 piece crank from a road bike not a one piece from a cruiser like this one
CIMG0156002.jpg

start with rubbing compound (fine stuff not the gritty stuff) and use 000 wool to get the big stuff off. then switch to something like mother's mag polish with a rag. the only thing that will determine how shiny they are is how many times you feel like putting the stuff on and rubbing, so wax on wax off my friend

I did mine with 400 grit,then 600,800 with a little soapy water, 1200 with soapy water then i polished it with a met-all aluminum polish with a buffing wheel. This is what i ended up with
IMG_4013.jpg

The shifter waas done by wet sanding and using rubbing compund and steel wool and buffed out with polish and buffing wheels
IMG_5055.jpg

Your best bet is if you have a bench grinder is to go down to Home Depot and buy a buffing wheel and some buffing compound. Should cost about $15 for everything. Install the buffing wheel and buff them until you get a mirror finish. Beware...it's a messy job.

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

Old thread I know, but wanted to pile on here since I got some recent experience with that.

First remove any anodizing or powdercoating. Use airplane stripper for powder coat and oven cleaner to remove the anodizing.

Then sand smooth. Sand smoother with a finer grade of sand paper. Then yet a again. Now polish it.

http://dumbbikeblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... shing.html

Hope it helps the next time someone searches.

i do it kinda old school with a hunk of leather and whatever polish i can get my hands on. works good. :D kind of..

Latest posts

Back