Porkchop Landrace "CAL Cruiser" DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MY Porkchop Landrace Build

I picked this f/f up 6+ months ago on RRB. And I thought it was about time to do something with it. But I wasn't sure what style I should build it up as. First I was thinking just a single speed freewheel with a lot of porkchop stuff on it. Then I was thinking of going with a clunker style and throwing on some drums and derailleurs. But after months of contemplating and hundreds of bad drawings I decided to go with a classic late 70's coaster brake beach cruiser.
So here it was when I bought it...
DSC08416.jpg

and here are the wheels I bought to throw on it.
gold-blak-spoke-set.jpg

So far I un-spoked them and took off the stickers.
I think I'll get a silver anodized high flange hub for the front but for the rear I think I'll use one of these http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Automatix-Sp ... 131&sr=1-7
I think they are supposed to be a lot like torpedo automatic hubs, which are hard to find now.
Here are how the rims look now.
porkchopproject3.jpg

porkchopproject.jpg

For the frame I used aircraft stripper, I can't remember which type, but it did a good job at removing the clearcoat and the decals. But before I could finish the job the can ran out and so did O' Reilly auto parts. So, I might have to delay the project for a week or two before they get some in.
There is still residue on the frame and fork but I think it already looks better.
porkchopproject1.jpg

porkchopproject2.jpg

Here's the direction I'm going with for the build... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12828
DSC00170-722636.JPG

But I'm still thinking about whether to put on alternate porkchop decals or leave it just as a chrome frame.

I just got the rear hub shipped in today.
I happened to find one for about $20 cheaper on Ebay with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SRAM-Automatic- ... 20c3397ae3
I still have to get more stripper for the frame and it shouldn't take long to get the rest off after that.
Here are some pics of the hub...
IMG_0221.jpg

Here's to show it fits in the frame. I wasn't sure, I just hoped it would and it did! I don't know what I would have done if it didn't. ;)
IMG_0220.jpg

Now I'm debating on what I should use for a front hub. I was thinking blue but I don't know if that would be too much color, so now I'm leaning towards gold. Or silver to match the rear hub?

I laced the wheels so far, just need to true them up.
And I have completely taken all of the residue off the frame.
Right now I'm trying to find some cheap crankarms, if you guys
have any that would really move the build along faster.

Just won this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... true&rt=nc
So hopefully I'll be able to finish my wheels up soon.
But it says he only ships on Fridays, so it may be another
two weeks or so. Which gives me time to look for crank
arms, and a headset.
I think instead of a three piece crank I'll use a one piece
because I think it will make it look less 80's and more 70's.
It's just hard to find a 180 mm set for a reasonable price.
For now I have the wheels laced and they look pretty good.
The only problem is that the bike shop left the spokes
a little too long, but they said it would be ok to just
trim the access off after truing. I'll post pics when
they are straight and have their porkchop 2.125" skinwalls
on.

Re: MY Porkchop Landrace Build (Latest Post as of 6/24)

Since my last post I have unlaced the wheels, got the spokes cut to size again, laced, and trued them. Which really excites me because this is my first successful wheel set that I have built. The camera I usually use has been broke for a while, so I use my mom's iPhone and she left for a while (vacation) so I couldn't take pictures of the wheel set until now. Here they are with the 26 x 2.125" skinwalls as promised.
updateporkchop4.jpg

updateporkchop6.jpg

I received my shipment of Porkchop goods last Friday and I have been busy at work sticking them on the bike. I ordered a gold seat post, tuf neck seat clamp copy, blue alloy headset, 41t chopsaw, AME cam grips, blue alloy valve caps, and of course the tires. And since I ordered over $100 of stuff I got free shipping, I also used a promo code to get an additional $30 off. Man, I love Porkchop! :D I can't see how they stay in business with all those promo codes and deals.
Here are some pics of the parts, a lot of the stuff I just temporarily installed on the bike to see if it'll fit. I also ran out of grease. But I'm going to see if I can bring it to the bike shop I work at to assemble it on my down time.
updateporkchop7.jpg

updateporkchop9.jpg

updateporkchop8.jpg

updateporkchop2.jpg

The Takagi crank I got from bmxmuseum, the Sugino spider I found at a garage sale for $1, I found the bars here... http://www.cycle4sport.com/servlet/the- ... OOF/Detail, the pedals were from Ebay and are NOS I almost don't want to open them, the seat came from a bunch of parts I bought from a guy that bought out an old bike shop, and the stem I got at a swap meet for $5 the clamps are too big for the bar but hopefully I can make a shim that will work.
updateporkchop10.jpg

updateporkchop3.jpg

updateporkchop1.jpg

updateporkchop.jpg

And here is a sneak peak of the bike (partially) together I wanted you guys to read the post before you saw it so I made it this link right here http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 1340586914
(I'm going to lower the seat post)

Let me know what you think so far!

Re: Porkchop Landrace "CAL Cruiser"

That looks cool man. Looks like it'll be alot of fun. I wish i lived somewhere there were bike swap meets :(

Re: Porkchop Landrace "CAL Cruiser"

Robertk said:
Coming together nicely!
Looking forward to hearing how the Sram hub works for you.
The hub is awesome! The shifting is very smooth and the brake works great.
The only downside is that it can shift while your pedaling up a hill which gets annoying,
but I think it would help out a lot if it had lower gearing. But I've gotten used to it.
I can also get it to go pretty fast. It'd be fun to take to a dirt track. 8)

Back