Possible year of Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this site and trying to get some information on a Hawthorne I have come across. I have a Hawthorne New Departure, Model D (on back wheel) New Deaparture-W on front wheel. The serial number is A29816, I believe it is a (1) next to last number. It does not have light, the rear part seems to have been about a 1-1 1/2" reflector held on by single bolt. and has the full tank. Does not have kickstand (dont know if pre-dated kickstand or if all had them on and this one is just missing. The tires are all dry rotted but say "Thunderbolt GT" Goodyear 26x2.125. Any information would be appreciated. My name is Kevin, my email is [email protected]

sling002.jpg

Welcome aboard.

Your bike is mostly there, but there's no seat cover. Chain is gone too. I'll bet the tires won't hold air and to top it off, they rode someone on the rear rack that was too heavy! They somehow have the handlebars upside down too. Probably no money stashed in the tank, just corroded batteries. Maybe some dead bugs and spiders in there too.

Good thing it's an early 50's Cleveland Welding Company made bike. You picked a good one to start with.

tin machine said:
yeah man , that bike you probably should just sell it to me , you won't be able to find any parts for it , and its not old , so just let me know and ill tell you were to ship it to , welcome to the site by the way Tin machine :)

What is it worth? and what would you offer?

Welcome, but before you just jump right in witha "whats it worth or sale " this IS the INTRO section as in INTRODUCTION so tell us a little about you..as in, how you found this site, where you from how much you like bikes etc etc
So once agian welcome aboard, put up yer feet and stay awhile. yes thats a nice bike :mrgreen:

I will back up just a little, sorry didn't realize I had posted everything in the INTRO section, sorry about that. I live in Oklahoma, moved here from Connecticut about 2 years ago. My children enjoying riding bikes, I have not bought one since the move. I had a mountain bike in Connecticut that I bought a garage sale for $5 and found a $1 in the case behind the seat, so you could say I paid $4 for the bike. I have ridden occassionally and just recreationally. When young, had a bike but no so much in later years, just time to time.

In my process to try to simplify my life, I have been going in many different directions and have not taken the time ride to relax or exercise, one child is too young and the other is on training wheels, the other is able to ride without training wheels, therefore not much time has been spent riding. As not bringing my other high dollar bike with me, I have not bought another here, so I have not done anything for the last 2 years (I don't think stationary bikes count on this page).

I came across this site as I had acquired this bike recently......I think I have a good eye for things......maybe I have just convinced myself of that........but tried to get information off the internet about exactly what I have. I was being very direct about getting information because I am great at starting things, but then will put them off and procrastinate as time goes by and don't finish projects. I tend to be detailed orientated(another name here) and will try to dig and find information and usually dig and dig.....sometimes more than I should. As far as hobbies, I like to do a lot of things and have never really concentrated on just one, or expertise in any one thing. Sometimes just caught up in so much, life just keeps going by.

This is just a little background about myself and was jumping into "what do I have, what is it worth" scenario, thanks for the step back

Kevin

Latest posts

Back