Post a picture of your very first old bicycle.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I think its fun remembering your very first experience at owning an old bicycle. Here is my first, this '35 Elgin Bluebird. Found it about two-three years ago and it is the bicycle that got me interested in old bicycles.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this old stingray deluxe was my first old bike.
IMG_0774.jpg

i found it on the curb in the trash. it was the bike that turned me on to the world of rrb, custom built bikes and low riders. thing's i'm happy to say i stuck with.

my first chop
IMG_0845.jpg

my first plating experiance/nightmare (after 3 months of having the frame, i ended up collecting this mess.-was promised to be finished in 2 week)
IMG_1508.jpg

and the silver lining to the story. (the color change pait turned out better than chrome)
done_0066-1.jpg

in 1987 I spray-can restored this Murray middleweight.

2959073360_57c17c5aa0_o.jpg

then I didn't fix up another old bike until about 2007 when I got this old Higgy frame that yeshoney gave me and I brought it and everything I needed to put it together home on my bike from the swap:

2796814248_4d21b19a39_o.jpg

Seem to me that if you are old enough, your very first old bicycle could have been your very first bicycle, or second or third, etc... For most of us there wasn't a camera around back then taking photos of everything because film and processing cost money.

I'm only 34 and this is the case with me.

My first bike was a flea market bike, solid rubber tires with flat nobby treat, green plastic over frame to mimic a dirtbike if I remember correctly and a hard plastic white seat, loaf style. The better part of that memory was dad holding the back of the seat as I pedaled across the parking lot to the van and him letting go and I was riding for the first time without training wheels. This being the memory presents a loss indicating that there was already a training wheel bike on the scene... hmmm...

I remember dad buying me and my sister "matching" banana seat bikes, both in blue, but girls and boys frames respectively. Holley is 2 years older than me, but I beat her to no training wheels.

My first BMX style bike came next, and though it was a coaster brake bike, it had yellow mag wheels, yellow grips, and a yellow padded seat with the diamond quilted pattern. Silver frame and black handlebars with I believe checkered pads. I rode that bike till I got my first "beach cruiser."

Any one of these bikes brought up in photos on this forum would be recognized as an old bike, but it wasn't till last summer that I got my hands on a 1950 Columbia that got me building and riding again.

Circa 1963.

rat1-2.jpg

Old early 50's Schwinn 20" I pulled out of the scrap pile and brush painted it black with Red Devil cyle paint. Had the first wheels I ever spoked and trued on my own on it. Was saving up to buy a banana seat and high rise bars for it.

I don't have any pics of my first but here's the earliest one I do have pics of........I miss having a welder. I am still working on a No-weld chopper modeled after it.

chopper.jpg

P9140190.jpg

Kreal said:
Hi all,
I think its fun remembering your very first experience at owning an old bicycle. Here is my first, this '35 Elgin Bluebird. Found it about two-three years ago and it is the bicycle that got me interested in old bicycles.

Do you still have it?

Your first was an Elgin Bluebird? :shock:

That takes the fun out of it....you can only go downhill from there...ha ha! :lol:

Rat Rod said:
Your first was an Elgin Bluebird? :shock:

That takes the fun out of it....you can only go downhill from there...ha ha! :lol:

:D Yah who gets to start at the top and work his way down :?: awesome !

This one was pulled from a dumpster bad fork crushed wheels found before I found this site.
0825091243b.jpg

By null

I had a bunch of vintage bikes in the early 90`s but had to sell them off when we moved out of the country. When I started collecting again this was the first bike that found me....

3630528470_ba07cbc2e3_b.jpg

Still one of my favourites! :D

Kreal said:
Hi all,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Did you know what you had when you got it? Even if you didn't please tell a story that would rival any Indiana Jones movie.

It was new then 1959 Impala and 9 yr old me. I'm still here don't know about the bike.....
59impalla2.jpg

By xc204 at 2009-12-30

Well this would be my first bike. Not sure what it is. Wish I still had it just for the sake of having it.
web.jpg

This is my first vintage bike. It's had a few different iterations in the 8 months or so that I've had it. A 1946 or 1947 Murray with an unknown badging.
IMG_0429.jpg

prewar indian. what a mess that was....learned a lot though :wink:

indian285.jpg

M.Martian said:
Well this would be my first bike. Not sure what it is. Wish I still had it just for the sake of having it.
web.jpg

M.Martian, What a great snap shot! cool bike...can you remember if it was a Fixie?

This was my first 20" bike. I had taken it apart and had the frame stripped and primered it and then it sat for years. Last year I built it up with some spares. Unfortunately I dont have any pictures of it when it was original.

littlerat2.jpg

Back